Acrylic Paint Pour Using a Sink Strainer

$20

Have you heard of paint pouring? I think it's a new trend that's happening right now! But I'm going one step further to pour using a sink strainer! Who knew a strainer could create amazing art? And without ever touching a paint brush, too? This is so me!
acrylic paint pour using a sink strainer
First cover everything possible in the area that might get paint on, including the floor. Then place the canvas on top of three empty plastic cups so the paint could drip down and off of the canvas. Next, put on a pair of disposable gloves and shake up the craft acrylic paints, pouring all of each one into the plastic cups
Then pour Pouring Medium into each color in equal amounts and stir each cup to mix.
Next, place the strainer in the middle of the canvas and begin pouring in each color of the paint mixture.
See the beautiful beginnings of the design coming out of the strainer!
Continue pouring the paint colors into the strainer with no particular color order.
The flow of the colors was somewhat slow, so I picked up the strainer and moved it to another area. Look at that pattern - swoooosh!
Then I placed the strainer down again and added more paint. But it seemed slow going again, so I started tilting the canvas gently back and forth.
This helped the paint flow to the sides and over the edges.
And there wasn't too much overflow paint on the drop cloth, either!

This looks so amazing!
There was a little bit of paint left over in the cups, so I placed the strainer on top of a 8"x10" glass from a picture frame and poured in all of the leftover paint . . .
to get this beautiful design! If you look at the glass piece on the left, do you see a figure with an eye, torso, and hand? Wow, that's what I see!
It took a couple of days for the paint to dry completely! But the wait was well worth it for two amazing pieces! Just perfect for beautiful wall decor!
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Meryl Schwartz

What is “pouring medium”

• Floetrol is available at home improvement stores for a medium. PVA glue (elmers is one) or they sell mediums at hobby stores in different finishes. Add medium one to one with craft paint, two or three to one for heavier bodied paints (tubes). Also 10% water to help paint flow better.

• Toni Tuyt Carroll

This is so pretty. Do you think it would work on the back of clear glass plates if you use the enamel paint that becomes permanent after baking it?

• Yes, that should work on clear glass plates! That would be very pretty, too! I used glass from a picture frame which is much thinner than glass plates and it's holding up quite well! The designs were quite different on the front and back (you can see the pics on my blog post if you want) Great idea!

• Karen Hardesty

Where did you get an oval canvas?