Asked on Sep 19, 2018

How do I remove a chemical odor from jeans?

Joy30150932EbbjdlFiddledd224
+4

I have a pair of black jeans with a strong chemical odor; I have washed them in vinegar, borax and soda. The jeans are going to be worn out before I can stand to wear them. Any suggestions?

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

Place them in a large plastic bin and cover with scoopable kitty litter (clean litter - haha).... kitty litter is designed to remove odors. Leave the jeans in the bin for at least one day. Shake all litter off and launder using liquid fabric softener to remove any trace of litter. Should work really well.

• Ebbjdl
    Ebbjdl

Nancy,. Wash in hot water, with Lestoil, about 1/4 cup in about 4 quarts of water in the washer. Spin out, smell it see if most of the smell is gone, then wash with your regular laundry liquid. Repeat. Don't use fabric softener. Don't dry in dryer, let it hang dry. This should work, I got cat urine out of clothes, and that really smells. Aloha!

• Nancy Smith
      Nancy Smith

Thank you, if the cat litter doesn't work, I will try your idea. My only problem, I didn't want the jeans to shrink in length.

• Ebbjdl
    Ebbjdl

They shouldn't shrink unless you dry them. Iron them. Aloha!

• Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

Wash them again in the vinegar and warm water and lay out in the sun to dry.