Bella Renovare
Bella Renovare
  • Cheyenne, WY

Learn How to Use Powder Glaze on Furniture the Easy Way

$100

Do not be intimidated by powder glaze anymore!! Learn how to use powder glaze to take those furniture pieces from Drab to Fab, with this easy guide.

Powder glaze is a unique painting media and technique. Powder glaze can be used on cabinets and furniture. In the world of DIY and painted furniture, professionals are always searching for ways to make pieces stand out from the rest. The key component to powder glazing is to use a paint that will not soak up the glaze. That means any latex/acrylic based paint is best used for powder glazing.

Don't worry friends that doesn't mean you have to give up your beloved chalk style/milk style paints. For or THIS particular technique it's better to keep those products on the shelf. Trust me I tried chalk paint with it, it was a total bust. Powder Glaze CAN be brushed on. I actually brushed it on for my first few pieces. Now I spray it for a more even and efficient layer of glaze.

First and foremost you want to make sure you prep your piece properly, this is key in the painted furniture business. You can find how I prep my pieces in this blog post Prepping Furniture for Painting.

learn how to use powder glaze on furniture the easy way
Step 1: Prepping the piece: You can see exactly how to prep a piece in this blog post Prepping Furniture for Painting
Step 2: Base coat of paint. (either brushed or sprayed) Let the paint fully dry before you move on.
Step 3: Seal the base coat with a gloss (this is my preference I feel like it makes it easier for the powder glaze to come off), if you are using a sprayer you will not need to dilute, if you are brushing everything make sure you get a nice even coat on the piece. if you are brushing you can brush this coat of sealer on, you do not have to spray it, although it may be faster.

Step 4: Powder Glaze! Powder glaze is veryyyyyy thin so if you are spraying there is no need to dilute, if you are brushing it will require patience, you are going to want to be conservative with your glaze you CAN lay the piece on its back as to avoid dripping and rotate the piece around in the same fashion once each side dries. Glaze is water based so you can rub it off with a rag with water or scrub it off once it dries if you do get runny spots, so don't sweat it too much.

Once you have put your coat of glaze on, walk away let it dry. If you live in a dry climate and its warmer you may only need to wait a short time. Your climate will dictate drying time. You will know when it is dry because it turns into a powdery film that is easy to rub off.
Step 5: The messy part! Scrubbing off the glaze. This is totally up to you as far as how little or how much you scrub off. You want to use a green 3M pad or steel wool, be careful not to press too hard or you will get a distressed look. Make sure you take a dry towel or air blower and get ALL the excess powder off.

Step 6: Final Sealer. You MUST spray this part. So whether you use a can or sprayer you want this part to be sprayed. Using a brush will just muddy up your glaze and that is not what we want
.
Step 7: Stand Back-Check Out The Awesomeness You Just Created!!

Final Product

I sealed my coat of the pink glaze and repeated the process with a white powder glaze to add depth to this piece. I painted the hard ware copper and added copper leafing.  ENJOY :)

Bella Renovare

• Judith

I have a piece that I would like to repaint, so I was interested in your piece and your method. I notice the first picture before any work done, the piece needed to be cleaned up. How was that done ? You didnt include any info on that, very important. And I liked the base coat, I think it would look great even just like that.

• Angi

The link to your Prepping your Furniture blog doesn't work. It says the page does not exist. I'd really love to read it. Could you provide another link please?

• Theresa Lacko

I really like the softness. I’d never heard of powder glaze. My husband does beautiful work. He’s recently made a new kitchen table, coat rack and refaced our island. However, he hates the last part, if painting is involved. How can I get him to try techniques that will give it some depth, or added interest? Also, I’m a little confused, whatis the purpose of the copper leaf on the bottom?

• Dee Ann Kennemer McFalls

Your husband does beautiful work! And yes, you either love or hate painting. I love it and am very ocd about it, can’t stand runs or brush strokes. My hubby on the other hand, just slaps it on. The thicker the better for him! Lol, he has runs and brush strokes all over the place!

Have you ever tried painting the pieces he makes? Maybe you could try your hand and get the look you’d like to have on it.