Asked on Sep 20, 2018

How can i get mold out of my basement ?

HomeroadBeth BennettSherri
+9

Answered

The basement in our new house has an apartment. It is growing many forms of mold. Definitely need help. I am serious many forms of mold!!!

10 answers
  • Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer
    on Sep 20, 2018

    First get a dehumidifier big enough for the square footage of the basement now be aware that your electric will go up about 30 to 45 dollars a month. Eather one big one or two on each side of the basement who ever finished the basement didn’t put a vaporbarior to stop moisture and mold

  • Kmdreamer
    Kmdreamer
    on Sep 20, 2018

    if you get water you need a sumpump.

  • If there is that much mold I would seriously call in a remediation specialist. Obviously lack of proper ventilation and needs to be addressed. Dehumidifiers are certainly in order too. Here is how to tackle the mold until you get someone in. I would photograph everything and even go so far as to take samples. Most companies can have someone out within 24 hours to assess the situation. Mold can make you really sick. Keep everyone out of there until a game plan to clean up is in place.


    https://restorationmasterfinder.com/restoration/what-kills-mold-bleach-vs-vinegar/


    https://www.servicemaster-restoration-cleaning.com/2017/03/30/mold-myths/


    https://www.servicemasterrestore.com/blog/mold-damage/mold-myths-will-vinegar-kill-mold/


    Hope this helps! Keep us posted on progress.

  • Louise
    Louise
    on Sep 21, 2018

    hydrogen peroxide full strength removes mold. used it in the corner of my laundry room. am also using a dehumidifier.

  • Joanne lueke
    Joanne lueke
    on Sep 21, 2018

    If the basement apartment uses the same heat/ac system as the part of the house you occupy, you should not stay there. Mold spores travel through the air. And if the problem was there at the time you bought it and it was not disclosed to you in writing, they can be held liable. Take care of your family and best wishes.

  • DD
    DD
    on Sep 21, 2018

    There are lots of solutions but when you have that kind of a situation you really need to contact a specialist. There is an underlying problem moisture and lack of light is that main breeding ground for mold and if you do not resolve that issue you will not get rid of the issue permanently. And depending on the type of mold, you can get very sick from it being in the home.

  • Marie M
    Marie M
    on Sep 21, 2018

    Bleach bleach and more bleach pour , scrub,rinse repeat as many times as needed then get several containers of RIDEX put them in every corner that should keep the mold from coming back and help with damp smell

  • Sherri
    Sherri
    on Sep 21, 2018

    I agree with DD. You need a professional to come out. It would be awful if you got sick from the mold, and if you rent the apartment out you could also be liable. Good luck, and be safe.

  • Beth Bennett
    Beth Bennett
    on Sep 21, 2018

    Thank you all so much! I appreciate every answer!

  • Homeroad
    Homeroad
    on Sep 21, 2018

    If you have a lot of mold I would suggest a dehumidifier and hire a professional to make sure you are safe from the wrong kind of molds!

Your comment...