Laminate floors?

+6

Can you lay a laminate floor over ceramic tiles without lifting the ceramic tiles?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Sep 20, 2018

As long as they are not lumpy.

• Janice Janice on Sep 20, 2018

Hi Donna, I think that you can; however, there are a few things to consider before doing so. You'll probably want to remove the basebaords, lay the underlayment (if any) install the laminate and then either put in new baseboards of reinstall the old ones. Also, consider if your current doors will need to be customized so as to "clear" the extra depth of the new floor.

Hope it works out for you.

• William William on Sep 20, 2018

If the laminate is a floating floor you can install it over ceramic tile. Just use the recommended underlayment by the manufacturer. Some are foam pad, plastic sheathing, etc. Baseboards do not need to be removed. Just remove the quarter round molding. leave a 1/4" space around the perimeter. You will increase the floor height so doors mat need to be trimmed. Door trim will need to be trimmed. Follow instructions that come with the flooring. Personally I dislike laminate flooring. Not good in wet locations or kitchens. It tends to swell if it gets wet. Seams can separate. Seam edges can chip. Just to name a few. reasons. make sure you purchase 10% more than you need in case of mishaps.

• Raul Raul on Sep 21, 2018

I’m getting ready to do the same thing in my bathroom, I purchased some underlay foam from Lowe’s you just lay it down and then you can put your flooring in

• Janice Janice on Sep 25, 2018

William, I don't have cord around molding anywhere in my house built in 2004...just baseboard installed after the tile was laid and grouted. I see a lot of your advice on this site and it is always right on! :)

• William William on Sep 25, 2018

Kind of surprising. Never seen or installed baseboard without quarter round, or cove molding. With out any quarter round molding at the baseboards then you would need to remove the baseboards. Be careful not to break any. Still need the required gap around the perimeter. Another option is to lay the laminate down with the required perimeter gap and install quarter round to cover the gap.

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Sep 26, 2018

I think so but it might move

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Jul 12, 2021

Hello there,

Yes, but you will need laminate flooring underlay!