Judy Walters Weiss
Judy Walters Weiss
  • Clarksburg, PA

Star of My Shade Garden ~ Solomon's Seal (Polygonatum)

This stately plant has quickly become one of my favorites for the shade garden. I love how the white tubular flowers dangle from the elegant arching stems.
star of my shade garden solomon s seal polygonatum, flowers, gardening
This perennial is very much at home in shady borders & woodland or naturalized areas.
Solomon's Seal spreads by rhizomes & slowly forms dense colonies of graceful arching stems. It blooms Mid - Spring here in my zone 6a garden.
It's name is said to come from the roots, whose leaf scars look like the seal of King Solomon.
The chipmunks love to hang out on the stone wall near the Solomon's Seal. They have tunnels all through the wall & up into the front of the bed.... Busy little guys!
Watching the little critters that we share our gardens with is one of the perks of gardening! :-)

Judy Walters Weiss

• Nell

I would love to add to my shade garden, are they available @ garden centers or do I need to order online?

• Waldschmj

My sister in law ordered on line. Have not seen them any where. I live in PA and I just leave the bulbs in the ground during the winter plant in a large area they do multiply . I was asked what I feed them and how much to water. Suprise I do neither. they are planted in area where coal ash was dumped and ashes created a great drainage for them. Good luck

• Judy Walters Weiss

I've very seldom seen them at garden centers here in Pa. where I live. I actually got a starting of the ones in my post from a neighbor when he was separating his.

• Stephanie corley

Ebay sells the plants and tubers and they are inexpensive.

• Linda St. Laurent

I was given these as transplants, but before I could replant them, the leaves started to turn yellow and rotted off. Can I still plant them, maybe cutting down the stem and planting the bulb, similar to an iris? Thank you!

• Waldschmj

yes replant should come back next year. I have some that was given to me also ans the have tripled in two years

• Linda St. Laurent

Thanks, I will. I'll just trim off the dried stem and leaves and plant the bulbs, which still looks healthy.

• Gloria

What can I plant to deter bees

• Shirley Smuk

I have these and never knew the name. They are growing well for 3 years now IN FULL SUN.

• D.

YES, all true, but the adorable chipmunk seems exceptionaly pleased with her access to shade & a gorgeous spot to take a nap. Great looking plants & creative photos. Thank - you. - D.