Asked on Sep 21, 2018

Put laminate or hardwoodflooing over tile?

MichelleArcherAnthony
+4

I have had tile recently put in my kitchen I'm not liking the look and it seem some tile is not flat as others or leveled. I do not want to have the same people come back and redo certain areas as the project took to long. Is it possible that laminate or hardwood floors can be put right over the tile or does the tile needs to be ripped up so the new floors can lay flat

• Lisa
    Lisa

I have researched much in this area. There are lots of ideas for placing whatever you want on top of tile without ripping it up. Unfortunately, if you have areas which are not smooth, you will need to grind down the uneven areas bedore putting anything over it. Hope this helps!

• Lifestyles Homes
    Lifestyles Homes

It’s possible, but the underlayment required for the new floors is going to significantly raise the overall total finished height of the new floors by about total 3/4”, by the time a “floorstone” leveling product is used. .

So, there will be some big transition strips between this floor and adjacent floors.

This won’t be cheap and it won’t be fast because the prep work will be tedious

I would get those previous installers to come back and fix their work or give them the option to pay you to have someone else to Warranty Their Work.

Unless this was your cousin or brother in law, you have a right to have them Warranty Their Work.

Put all contacts with them in writing, take detailed and dated photographs and then if you want to take them to Small Claims Court to help pay for the next round of flooring.

• Nycqt15
    Nycqt15

Thank you for your reply. It was a handyman who does this for a living. Just glad I haven't paid him in full. Probably wont either it took 6 weeks for him and his partner to lay this floor down.

• Anthony
    Anthony

Sorry to say this ...BUT, you get what you pay for...cheap labor,cheap work.

• Archer
    Archer

Another option would be vinyl plank flooring. It can deal with imperfections a bit better than wood or laminate, and looks amazing. Not QUITE as durable, but most are completely water proof.

• Michelle
    Michelle

never pay for work until you are completely satisfied , I take close up pictures of the work that was done and go into store personally speak with the owner and explain the problem, presenting the pictures. I would then express to owner you don't want the previous installers doing the work, ask for a refund for shoddy work or take to small claim court. You must have signed a contract if so please read, if you don't have a contract then it will be difficult to get money back, always get a contract out lining what needs to be done. You just spent money to put floors company needs to fix, I would not spend any more money or replacing the floor