How to Install a Kitchen Backsplash

$5000
2 Months

We finally finished our NEW Ikea kitchen, it's been 2 Months since we first started with the design for our new kitchen. But we LOVE the outcome and would do it all over again!
Finished IKEA Kitchen
Finished IKEA Kitchen
This is the finished kitchen... wait until you see what it looked like before!!!
Our Kitchen before, old and outdated!
We had the worst kitchen backsplash ever, it destroyed our drywall during takedown.
After the takedown of our old kitchen, we had to replace some drywall (how we did it can be found here: http://www.oheverythinghandmade.com/kitchen-how-to-install-drywall/
Kitchen cabinet installation was easier than we thought! You can find out how we installed the cabinets here: http://www.oheverythinghandmade.com/kitchen-ikea-kitchen-cabinet-installation/
We also installed a butcher block and cut our own undercount sink hole: http://www.oheverythinghandmade.com/kitchen-how-to-cut-a-sink-hole-into-butcher-block/
First, I had to protect my butcher block from any damage, in order to do that I used a water blocking paper that I got at Home Depot (find the link above in the Tools and Material you need, section). Simply roll the paper out on the counter, cut it to fit and tape it down with some painter's tape.
Before I got started with anything, I laid out my tile - FireClayTile's are handmade and there can be some variation in the color and fitting, so make sure you lay them out the way you like them to go on the wall.
This backsplash installation, was quite fun!
Grouting was like an exercise, my arms are still sore!
Before tiling!
Before grouting!
Tiling done, toe kick and trim around the cabinets + lighting was missing in this image!

Betty @ Oh Everything Handmade

• Pam

I am on a budget so I totally agree with your SMART DECISION to use ikea - did you use an ikea contractor to install cabinets.? Not everyone has the money to get wood or high end cabinets

• Hi Pam, no we did everything in that kitchen ourselves. No need for contractor, they would have charged us $90 per cabinet, which is nonsense! The cabinets have been in use since March this year and are holding up pretty awesome. FYI I have two small children!!!