Dollar Store Container Gardening

$1.00

Buying larger planters for container gardens can get expensive. So, I decided to head to the dollar store and see if I could find a thrifty alternative. And I did! These wastebaskets come in several fun and bright colors. And the handles make it perfect to move around! The pictures below are of "Italian" planters I created. I included a Roma tomato, a sweet basil and a purple basil. I have also made "salad" planters with different lettuces in them.
Create a fun and thrifty container garden.
Grab some wastebaskets from the Dollar Tree. I really liked these because of the bright colors and the handles.
Beautiful container gardens!

Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
15 Perfectly Round Tables
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Diann

• Kris
    Kris

What about drainage holes & something to catch the water (&sometimes tiny bits of soil) underneath this planters? Just using gravel usually dwns my plants even when the top is dry. I live in an apartment building so my container garden will be on 2 X-Large windowsills measuring 1'X9'&1'X6'. But $1 Store is just my budget!
    • Lija Cerbulis Day
      Lija Cerbulis Day

i use coffee filters to hold in the soil and allow drainage, then some of my pots sit in aluminum pans.

• Brenda Smith
    Brenda Smith

I am putting these on my back deck, I do not want to ruin my wood, what would you put underneath to catch excess water? Like a pie pan or something?
    • Melissa Moon
      Melissa Moon

Is your deck covered? If rain water can collect beneath the pots it will cause rot. Raising the planters with small plastic pieces the size of legos or several pieces of gravel will allow air flow so that the wood can dry out. It's also a good idea to do this with concrete planters so they can drain properly and prevent freezing in winter. Ice expands and can crack a concrete planter.

• Sally Soucie
    Sally Soucie

U drill holes in bottom of ya container ?

• Miriam
      Miriam

Yes, about 3 should do it. Place something under it to catch the excess water, but don`t let it sit in water.

• Doreen Kennedy
    Doreen Kennedy

I think it’s a great idea. I use dollar store and Home Depot buckets to grow vegetables. My best tip is to drill a few rows of holes along the sides. It makes the drainage so much better. My tomato plants do so well in the pots and buckets that have lots of side holes.

• JD
    JD

Always looking for a thrifty idea... I’ve tried it. As reported, containers become extremely brittle and break. In addition to needing to pick out the obvious, brightly colored pieces of plastic garbage from your soil, you’re left with the guilt of putting more unrecyclable plastic into the trash. Better to invest in clay. Timeless and classic. Shards can be recycled for drainage. (For many gardeners, clay investments are made over YEARS - a pot, or two, or three, a season. When properly cared for, they’re passed on to the next generation of gardeners.) For larger vegetable planters, build a box from untreated scrap. And upcycle the free pots that come from the garden center. It’s not thrifty if you’re throwing your money in the trash each planting season.