Dollar Store Container Gardening

$1.00

Buying larger planters for container gardens can get expensive. So, I decided to head to the dollar store and see if I could find a thrifty alternative. And I did! These wastebaskets come in several fun and bright colors. And the handles make it perfect to move around! The pictures below are of "Italian" planters I created. I included a Roma tomato, a sweet basil and a purple basil. I have also made "salad" planters with different lettuces in them.
Create a fun and thrifty container garden.
Grab some wastebaskets from the Dollar Tree. I really liked these because of the bright colors and the handles.
Beautiful container gardens!

Diann

• Kris

What about drainage holes & something to catch the water (&sometimes tiny bits of soil) underneath this planters? Just using gravel usually dwns my plants even when the top is dry. I live in an apartment building so my container garden will be on 2 X-Large windowsills measuring 1'X9'&1'X6'. But $1 Store is just my budget!
    • Patti

Try using styrofoam peanuts in the bottom 2-4 inches. This acts as drainage & also lightens the weight of the soil. Plus you don’t use as much soil. I use this in all my planters.

instead of drilling holes heat up a long nail & it will push right through the plastic. Be sure to hold nail with pliers or pot holder...it will be hot!

• Brenda Smith

I am putting these on my back deck, I do not want to ruin my wood, what would you put underneath to catch excess water? Like a pie pan or something?
    • Patti

Set on old cookie sheet covered with sand, pea gravel or some pretty glass stones from a Dollar Store.

• Sally Soucie

U drill holes in bottom of ya container ?

• Silver Dragonfly

Packing peanuts work well in containers too.. they hold a little bit of water too .. largest problem w container gardening I’m asked about is dry out.. I also love the globes.. u can check them at a glance and they are pretty

• Lola

You can always put coffee filters in the bottle of your container to keep the dirt in & a diaper or adult pad in the bottom helps to keep the soil moist without making it to wet.