Homes.com
Homes.com
  • Norfolk, VA

DIY Farmhouse Table

Brought to you by our friend Tommy Sibiga:
This dining room table has been a labor of love…so to speak. It’s been fun to try out new tools and new techniques, and I’ve learned a ton for the next time around. This has really felt like the first time building something this substantial from the ground up.
diy farmhouse table, diy, how to, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture
I used 4-2×12’s for the top, 4×4’s for the legs, and I also really liked that the original design inspiration had two 15” extensions that could be added on (so I included that in my design as well).
The issue with wanting to use 4×4’s for the legs is that nobody really sells 4×4’s unless they are pressure treated. I had to purchase a majority of the wood from a local mill, which meant that it cost more than just using framing 2×4’s.
The first thing that I did was cut the 2×12’s, 2×8’s (for the breadboards), and 4×4’s to length. I then notched the 4×4’s out. I then made subsequent cuts in between, hammered out the little slivers, and then swerved the 4×4’s around on the table saw to smooth it all out. I strategically left about a 1/4” for the 4×4’s to still out just enough to give it some definition. I did the same for the 2×4 that was the stretcher along the bottom.
I used my Kreg jig for the first time to drill all the pocket holes on the underside of the 2×12’s. I spaced them out about every 12”. I also added some 2×4 support beams about every 24”. I then attached the bread boards using all my clamps. Once that was done, I secured it to the base from the underneath. I counter-sinked some screws through the 2×4 supports and then also had some pocket holes through the 4×4’s. The 15" extensions were just two 2×8’s screwed together with the Kreg Jig. I then attached some 2×2 strips on the underneath to slip into the table. I notched out the base 1.5”x 1.5” to allow for a nice tight fit.
I then sanded the table down and added a stain as well as wood wax.
Here is the final product!
For more DIY project ideas visit the Homes.com gallery here --> http://blog.homes.com/idea-gallery/
Find the full tutorial on our sister site, ForRent.com, here --> http://www.forrent.com/blog/diy/our-dining-room-table-guest-blogger

To see more: http://www.forrent.com/blog/diy/our-dining-room-table-guest-blogger