Mandy Brown
Mandy Brown
  • Tutorial Team
  • Waynesboro, VA

Laundry Room Makeover

$75

I was fortunate enough to have my current house given to me by my parents when they built a new home to downsize and so my mother wouldn’t have to climb stairs after living with near crippling back issues for over 30 years. My house was built in 1990 and the original owners used a LOT of wallpaper and loud colors. Instead of dealing with removing wallpaper, my parents painted over most of it which worked, but now that I’m trying to update everything I’m painstakingly removing it and painting fresh.

My laundry room was a very bright, sunny yellow and had a “wedding ring” quilt patterned wallpaper border around the top under the crown molding. It also had those white wire shelves above the washer and dryer and I’ve never been a huge fan of those so I knew something had to be done.

Since my laundry room is just inside from my garage entrance, we had one of those racks with coat hooks to hang our jackets on as we came in the door. I had a small three-shelf bookcase that I converted into cubbies to hold our shoes. This 6’x6’ space was not cutting it as a “mudroom“ so I decided to convert an empty space in my laundry room into a locker area.

laundry room makeover
This was the area in my laundry room that was just wasted space.
laundry room makeover
Most benches are 18” to the seating area. I was using a 1/2” thick board for the seat so I measured up 17 1/2” to place my cleat boards.
laundry room makeover
With my cleat boards in place I was ready to set my bench seat.
laundry room makeover
I purchased a 2’x4’ hardwood board from Lowe’s. The space was exactly 4’ wide so it worked out perfectly.
laundry room makeover
After securing the seat to the cleats I used 1/2” MDF boards to use both as dividers and supports.
laundry room makeover
I also used 1/2” MDF to build the “locker” areas and storage above.
laundry room makeover
I trimmed out the top with crown molding and used 1/2” beaded mullion to cover the raw edges of the MDF. I stained the seat and painted the rest white to contrast the light grey paint we chose for the walls and added 2 coat hooks to each. I also found some really cute fabric bins at Big Lots that fit great underneath to hold (and hide) shoes while hats, gloves, etc. can be stored above.
laundry room makeover
Now we can keep all of our things tidy and out of the entry. I have another idea for that space. 😉
laundry room makeover
The color of the room before we started.

• Mir12029640

This looks great!! I have a similar area and have been wanting to do this for years.

How did you fasten the upper portion to the wall? I don’t see any braces or screws.

• Archie

If you cut the upright bottoms at an slight angle it will lean against the wall with no screws needed.

If you wouldn't feel that was enough you could add a bracket to the top side and fasten it to the wall.

• Mandy Brown

I think this question accidentally posted twice. I answered below.

• Mir12029640

• Mandy Brown

Thank you! I have "L" brackets on the top and there are screws on the underside of the seat to secure it there. The top section was put together using "notched" construction. The boards are 12" wide so I marked where the upright pieces and lower shelf would join then cut 1/2"x6" notches in both the shelf board and upright boards then slid them together. This makes for a sturdier joint and the top becomes one large section (like the top of a china cabinet). I used a Kreg jig to make pocket holes in the panels below the seats to secure them. I hope this explains it.

• Deborah Luchak Nester

Love

love

love it!!

great job!

• Cindy Cisneros

Where did you put your washer and dryer.

Love the idea, but no room in my laundry room.

• Mandy Brown

Hi Cindy. If you look at the last picture (the one of the before color), you’ll see my washer and dryer are pulled out from the wall so we can paint. They stand along the wall on the right. When you first enter the room there is a large closet on the left where I keep my vacuums, mops, brooms and extra paper products. The recessed area where I put the lockers is just beyond the closet (you can see my husband’s leg in the picture).

• Cindy Cisneros

Thank you Mandy. Have great day.

• Lou Ann Forman

I loved what you did with the empty space!!

It is so neat looking!

• Krysten Rene Ayer

This is so awesome I am going to try this in my laundry room I think it will be perfect in the space I have. Thank you for sharing this great idea.

• Mandy Brown

Thanks Krysten! It has made our lives so much more organized. Good luck and post pics!