Asked on Sep 24, 2018

How do I remove wallpaper, can it be painted over?

DeeMelanieFiddledd224
+5

• wall paper is removed by "scoring" and then steaming it off.. If you want to paint it, you want to make sure that it is all very secure to the wall and then prime first, then paint.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+remove+wallpaper&docid=607986454819769404&mid=85F06158C02DDBCFC93085F06158C02DDBCFC930&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

• Sheila
    Sheila

I have painted over wallpaper. BUT the seams must be down tightly

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

1. Score the wall paper with a scoring tool
    2. Wipe a mixture of 50:50 warm water and liquid fabric softener on the scored paper. Wait 10 minutes, then peel
  • Bar32015495
    Bar32015495

I have taken wallpaper off many rooms and the best removal was this gel that I bought for that job specifically. Cant remember the name but you apply it with a sponge, wait time maybe 15 min. Then you scrape it off and it glides right off. I had tried the steamer and other products but that gel is by far the best! I'm sure you could google it to find the name or inquire at Sherman Williams.

William

I use a 50/50 mix of vinegar and hot water. The moisture in paint can cause it to bubble and peel. Only time I recommend painting if it won't come off.

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

I don't recommend it at all! Not only will the paint show bubbles and creases, but will most likely cause the wall paper seams to split and show a very obvious line down the wall. It is pretty standard procedure to remove wall paper: First, score it well with a scoring tool. Next, wipe it down with a 50:50 mixture of warm water and liquid fabric softener, applied with a soft t-shirt. Wait 10 minutes and peel the paper off.

• Melanie
    Melanie

I have painted wallpaper and have had no problems. You have to make sure that the paper is in good condition no rips or tears and no visible seams. Apply light coat of paint and let dry then apply second coat.

• Dee
    Dee
    12 minutes ago

I painted my kitchen wallpaper twice. Have never had a problem with it. I made sure all seams were sealed, and there were no tears. I did a light primer coat, and used semi gloss Sherwin Williams paint both times. The only reason I painted twice is I wanted to change colors. It has been fine for at least 14 years.