Garden Cobblestone Design Walk-path

$250
1 Week

First impression is everything to me and after almost 2 years of relocating from New York and moving into our first home in the state of Florida, looking at my garden mess day in and day out...it was time to change everyone’s first impression (about my front yard) for good!!

We started by removing all the stones, weeds, garbage, bugs and leveling the dirt by digging dirt from higher areas with a shovel, etc...The walk path is tilted away from the foundation of the house and it‘s sligthly lower than the wooden floor which leads to my front door. The cobblestone design and the fact that it is not a flat leveled surface prevents water from coming into my front porch. I purposely made it lower to prevent flooding into the wooden floor area seen in the picture. when it rains all the water falling on the walk path makes its way to the plants that sit on the right of it and the plants at the end of it. Those plants were burnt from the Florida heat this summer and after building this walkpath and adding mulch around those dying plants the difference is very visible!!! All the plants around and at the end of the walk path have grown incredibly because the rain water goes directly into them the mulch around them gets soaked and the soil around them stays moist.

We then dug straight lines around the edges of the walk-path deep enough (about 4-5 in) to lay wooden posts separating the dirt from plants and area where the mulch would be later placed

Once the area was completeley bordered with wooden posts and rocks behind the posts all around it we started our project

We used two types of cements (concrete mix as a base and mortar for the cobblestones). We poured the concrete mix over the path and once the base was covered we used a hose to water it until it was soaked wet.

Once the concrete mix was solid as rock we mixed the mortar in a bucket by hand and proceeded to pour it inside the mold which we purchased at Lowes for $20 bucks

This is the mortar used to create the cement cobblestones looks on my walk-path

This is the first cobblestone we created. We spent a bag of mortar to fill the mold each time. The walk path is 22 feet long by 1.5 width and we spent 13 concrete mix bags and 10 bags of mortar in total

The project is not as easy as it looks due to the mixing by hand, bending on your knees, summer heat and florida bugs that invade the garden areas. Home depot rents cement or concrete mixers by the hour or day if needed for easier mixing...

The walk-path took longer to complete than I ever imagined but it was so worthy!!

This is the walkpath maker purchased at Lowes for $20. It is worth every penny.

Reaching the end of my project felt so relieving.

The end is here, now it was time to let it all dry, remove the wooden posts (carefully) and move on to cleaning up the surrounding plants for a neat and clean garden look. I ran out of time and space in this page but you can go to my facebook page to view the after photos, videos and a lot more projects/ideas!!! 👌🏻😍

https://m.facebook.com/elegantandcozyremodelingllc

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tested the walkpath and it’s stability.

Before and after pictures

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning

• Carolyn Brown

Did you know you Can throw powered cement from Lowe’s while this is sitting up and have it other colors besides the regular cement color ! I did my walk I made years ago in a red !

• Lana

I have the same mould in Ontario, Canada. I used regular concrete and my stones have been in use for nearly twenty years. And yes, you can use the colorant for concrete, although I prefer the natural colour.

• Lana

Just curious why you used mortar mix instead of concrete which is more durable? Also why did you rotate the mould instead of alternating it so your stones interlock rather than having large patches of mortar to level by hand? I have a similar mould and the next stone just starts where previous one finishes without any gaps to fill.

• Lisa West

She is going to paint those areas that are bigger and the other fill in. She has an idea and it's not fully finished in her eyes. Let her finish. I think it looks great and works for her and her family. Keep doing a great job. You ll m.h get there. Florida can be beastly with heat. I have been there a few times. We are supposed to move there. Now how ever a friend wants us to come to Vegas and nice out by her. She is very close to us And treats us like family.

• Elvie Velasco Berry

Does the walkway lead to a door?

• Gail Dyslin

live in iowa and i did this at my old home. It held up for ages! I am in the process of getting my backyard cleaned up and ready to make another walkway with the pattern. It holds up to cold and hot wonderfully.

• Leida R

Excellent job. I love it. Thanks for the share.