Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Garden Cobblestone Design Walk-path

$250
1 Week

First impression is everything to me and after almost 2 years of relocating from New York and moving into our first home in the state of Florida, looking at my garden mess day in and day out...it was time to change everyone’s first impression (about my front yard) for good!!

garden gobblestone design walk path

We started by removing all the stones, weeds, garbage, bugs and leveling the dirt by digging dirt from higher areas with a shovel, etc...The walk path is tilted away from the foundation of the house and it‘s sligthly lower than the wooden floor which leads to my front door. The cobblestone design and the fact that it is not a flat leveled surface prevents water from coming into my front porch. I purposely made it lower to prevent flooding into the wooden floor area seen in the picture. when it rains all the water falling on the walk path makes its way to the plants that sit on the right of it and the plants at the end of it. Those plants were burnt from the Florida heat this summer and after building this walkpath and adding mulch around those dying plants the difference is very visible!!! All the plants around and at the end of the walk path have grown incredibly because the rain water goes directly into them the mulch around them gets soaked and the soil around them stays moist.

garden gobblestone design walk path

We then dug straight lines around the edges of the walk-path deep enough (about 4-5 in) to lay wooden posts separating the dirt from plants and area where the mulch would be later placed

garden gobblestone design walk path

Once the area was completeley bordered with wooden posts and rocks behind the posts all around it we started our project

garden gobblestone design walk path

We used two types of cements (concrete mix as a base and mortar for the cobblestones). We poured the concrete mix over the path and once the base was covered we used a hose to water it until it was soaked wet.

garden gobblestone design walk path

Once the concrete mix was solid as rock we mixed the mortar in a bucket by hand and proceeded to pour it inside the mold which we purchased at Lowes for $20 bucks

garden gobblestone design walk path

This is the mortar used to create the cement cobblestones looks on my walk-path

garden gobblestone design walk path

This is the first cobblestone we created. We spent a bag of mortar to fill the mold each time. The walk path is 22 feet long by 1.5 width and we spent 13 concrete mix bags and 10 bags of mortar in total

garden gobblestone design walk path

The project is not as easy as it looks due to the mixing by hand, bending on your knees, summer heat and florida bugs that invade the garden areas. Home depot rents cement or concrete mixers by the hour or day if needed for easier mixing...

garden gobblestone design walk path

The walk-path took longer to complete than I ever imagined but it was so worthy!!

garden gobblestone design walk path

This is the walkpath maker purchased at Lowes for $20. It is worth every penny.

garden gobblestone design walk path

Reaching the end of my project felt so relieving.

garden gobblestone design walk path

The end is here, now it was time to let it all dry, remove the wooden posts (carefully) and move on to cleaning up the surrounding plants for a neat and clean garden look. I ran out of time and space in this page but you can go to my facebook page to view the after photos, videos and a lot more projects/ideas!!! 👌🏻😍

https://m.facebook.com/elegantandcozyremodelingllc

Error loading player:
No playable sources found

Tested the walkpath and it’s stability.

garden gobblestone design walk path

Before and after pictures

Elegant and cozy

• H Loretta Wolfe

How wide is the walk? From the picture it looks too narrow to walk on, plus the walk should be elevated away from the foundation, if not you may have problems in the future from corrosion to the foundation or basement leaks..

• Stevie Johnson

I think this little walkway is sufficiently wide unless you are a very large person? Check out the pre-existing posts & planters. Looks to me like the space was used in the simplest, easiest way to fit existing conditions & still be pleasing to look at. All a matter of personal preference.

As far as the angle of the walkway for runoff/drainage. If I remember right, code says 1/4" drop per lineal foot is sufficient to carry water away. You wouldn't be able to see that in the picture, or even just by looking at it so it could very well be there.

Another advantage to a path like this is that many either don't like or have difficulty getting plants to grow close to the walls of their home. When it rains, the bare soil allows splatters of mud to dirty those walls. This little pathway will end that problem as well as providing a walkway & visual interest. I like what she did & even more, like that she had the creativity & the determination to envision it & do the hard, heavy work necessary to complete it:)

• Donna Clemons

Can u use this for entire patio not just a walkway?

• Elegant and cozy

Sure you can. It will take a lot if work but it can be done. Buy a few molds to work faster

• Carolyn Brown

Did you know you Can throw powered cement from Lowe’s while this is sitting up and have it other colors besides the regular cement color ! I did my walk I made years ago in a red !