Garden Cobblestone Design Walk-path

$250
1 Week

First impression is everything to me and after almost 2 years of relocating from New York and moving into our first home in the state of Florida, looking at my garden mess day in and day out...it was time to change everyone’s first impression (about my front yard) for good!!

We started by removing all the stones, weeds, garbage, bugs and leveling the dirt by digging dirt from higher areas with a shovel, etc...The walk path is tilted away from the foundation of the house and it‘s sligthly lower than the wooden floor which leads to my front door. The cobblestone design and the fact that it is not a flat leveled surface prevents water from coming into my front porch. I purposely made it lower to prevent flooding into the wooden floor area seen in the picture. when it rains all the water falling on the walk path makes its way to the plants that sit on the right of it and the plants at the end of it. Those plants were burnt from the Florida heat this summer and after building this walkpath and adding mulch around those dying plants the difference is very visible!!! All the plants around and at the end of the walk path have grown incredibly because the rain water goes directly into them the mulch around them gets soaked and the soil around them stays moist.

We then dug straight lines around the edges of the walk-path deep enough (about 4-5 in) to lay wooden posts separating the dirt from plants and area where the mulch would be later placed

Once the area was completeley bordered with wooden posts and rocks behind the posts all around it we started our project

We used two types of cements (concrete mix as a base and mortar for the cobblestones). We poured the concrete mix over the path and once the base was covered we used a hose to water it until it was soaked wet.

Once the concrete mix was solid as rock we mixed the mortar in a bucket by hand and proceeded to pour it inside the mold which we purchased at Lowes for $20 bucks

This is the mortar used to create the cement cobblestones looks on my walk-path

This is the first cobblestone we created. We spent a bag of mortar to fill the mold each time. The walk path is 22 feet long by 1.5 width and we spent 13 concrete mix bags and 10 bags of mortar in total

The project is not as easy as it looks due to the mixing by hand, bending on your knees, summer heat and florida bugs that invade the garden areas. Home depot rents cement or concrete mixers by the hour or day if needed for easier mixing...

The walk-path took longer to complete than I ever imagined but it was so worthy!!

This is the walkpath maker purchased at Lowes for $20. It is worth every penny.

Reaching the end of my project felt so relieving.

The end is here, now it was time to let it all dry, remove the wooden posts (carefully) and move on to cleaning up the surrounding plants for a neat and clean garden look. I ran out of time and space in this page but you can go to my facebook page to view the after photos, videos and a lot more projects/ideas!!! 👌🏻😍

https://m.facebook.com/elegantandcozyremodelingllc

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tested the walkpath and it’s stability.

Before and after pictures

• Donna Clemons

Can u use this for entire patio not just a walkway?

• J

Make sure to really prepare the area underneath where you would do a patio. My neighbor did this and in no time it was cracking and lifting.

• Carolyn Brown

Did you know you Can throw powered cement from Lowe’s while this is sitting up and have it other colors besides the regular cement color ! I did my walk I made years ago in a red !

• Laura Adolphus Hathcoat

I live in northern Illinois..close to the Wisconsin border. Last night we had -22 windchill. I personally would not use this for a patio because I know the problems of things cracking and heaving out if the ground during our freezes and thaws, but it is a super cool look, and I would be willing to try it as a path. A patio would be a huge amount of work for it to possibly break up. Good luck if you attempt the patio, and let us all know! 😊

• Lana

Just curious why you used mortar mix instead of concrete which is more durable? Also why did you rotate the mould instead of alternating it so your stones interlock rather than having large patches of mortar to level by hand? I have a similar mould and the next stone just starts where previous one finishes without any gaps to fill.

• Laura Adolphus Hathcoat

Can anyone tell me..is this slippery and hard to walk on when wet..or even dry? My garden area always has a hose nearby because I work in it a lot, but cobblestones can be very slippery. Anyone know?