Asked on Sep 25, 2018

How can this floor be renewed?

GkWithin the GroveFlipturn
+11

what can I do to refurbish or renew this floor without removing the linoleum or the entry strip? This floor is over 3o yrs. I can't get the yellowish stain out after trying various things

William

You can paint it or lay down vinyl plank flooring over it. Looks like wood, ceramic or porcelain tile.

Painting ideas from other Hometalkers.

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20vinyl%20floors

• Phyllis
      Phyllis

Thanks for your response and advice. I am still looking for something I'll be able to do without bothering anyone else.

• Patty
    Patty

U can paint it and stencils it, I am going to use chalk paint then a large stencil.then a glaze

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

I don't think it's a stain, but discoloration from years of sunlight and use. I don't think it can be removed.

• Fiddledd224
      Fiddledd224

Mae, there are lots of great replacement floors you can get for a really good price. I would take this photo to the home improvement store and ask them for advice. Get a few quotes. Prices vary greatly. But installing a new floor will not only be a good investment in your home's value, but will make you instantly happy when it is done.

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Agree with Fiddledd that the discolouration in the vinyl is just due to age, 30 years exposure to incandescent light, and all the various substances normally found on a bathroom floor.

Unfortunately, it is permanent, but after this number of years, I would say that the flooring has exceeded its 'shelf life'. It can not be rejuvenated back to new with any other way other than simply replacing it with a more modern flooring.

• Phyllis
      Phyllis

Thanks you're right the adhesive over a period of time breaks down, causing discoloration and color cannot be restored.

• Within the Grove
    Within the Grove

You can use porch paint and paint over it! Here's an image of a bathroom where this person did just that this week: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoIVoYZg1iO/?hl=en&taken-by=cynthia_harper_

• Phyllis
      Phyllis

Thank for your response. I don't have instagram, I cannot view the image.

• Gk
    Gk

I would float a water resistant vinyl plank floor right over this. You can be done in a day! You could also use stick on vinyl tiles--but if you choose this you have to use a adhesive primer first. Vinyl stick on tiles would be less money than a floating floor but this looks like a small bathroom so even then it is affordable. Take up your toilet before you put flooring down--buy a new wax ring or two to reseat the toilet.

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

If you do decide to go with adding a layer of the vinyl planking, then you will likely have to acquire a new transition piece to accommodate the additional height at the point where the 'new' flooring meets the doorway threshold.