Update a Wall With Trim

$35

We all love an inexpensive project that brings a high-end look to a room so check this one out!

update a wall with trim

Back a couple years, I built this cool wood block headboard (click the blue words to see the project on my blog). But ever since it went up, I've been having trouble figuring out what to do with the expanse of blank wall above it. Boring. Yawn.

update a wall with trim

Thankfully finally something hit me, flat stock trim! It's cheap, it's easy, and I could create any kind of design on the wall I wanted! Sweet! So I opted for a diamond pattern.

update a wall with trim

I measured the wall (so sorry for all these terrible photos by the way, dark, dreary day and overhead lights, yuck) and found center. That's where the 45 degree cuts met. Tacked the strips onto the wall with a brad nailer and off to the races I went.

For more on this and so many other great projects, be sure to come by my blog, Flipping the Flip!

update a wall with trim

Next was 45 degrees into the corners and crossing the first pieces. At this point, everything was marked for cutting on the wall, no measuring.

update a wall with trim

Once all the pieces were up, I patched gaps and nail holes with Durham's Rock Hard Wood Putty, then sanded those areas smooth.

update a wall with trim

Lastly all I had to do was paint. I opted to paint the trim to match the wall as I didn't want it to pull focus, just create a cool subtle pattern on the wall and make neat shadows.

update a wall with trim

And voila!

update a wall with trim

It came out super cool, better than I imagined!

Be sure to click the blog link below to read more details about this project and discover lots of other neat ones while you're there!

Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Lois Glenn
    10 hours ago

You've done a beautiful job!! You must feel so happy every time you look at it. I want to try it! Just not sure of myself! 😊

• Thank you so much! Yes, it does make me happy when I look at it, thanks! Just take it slow, practice a bit, and I'm sure you can do this.

• Grace Brumback
    8 hours ago

I'm more interested in your wood head board.. that would look awesome on the whole wall! Did you do that yourself? But the wall looks good!

• Daniela Voltaggio
    7 hours ago

I love that headboard where did you get it... and the trim looks great and original