Update a Wall With Trim

$35

We all love an inexpensive project that brings a high-end look to a room so check this one out!

Back a couple years, I built this cool wood block headboard (click the blue words to see the project on my blog). But ever since it went up, I've been having trouble figuring out what to do with the expanse of blank wall above it. Boring. Yawn.

Thankfully finally something hit me, flat stock trim! It's cheap, it's easy, and I could create any kind of design on the wall I wanted! Sweet! So I opted for a diamond pattern.

I measured the wall (so sorry for all these terrible photos by the way, dark, dreary day and overhead lights, yuck) and found center. That's where the 45 degree cuts met. Tacked the strips onto the wall with a brad nailer and off to the races I went.

For more on this and so many other great projects, be sure to come by my blog, Flipping the Flip!

Next was 45 degrees into the corners and crossing the first pieces. At this point, everything was marked for cutting on the wall, no measuring.

Once all the pieces were up, I patched gaps and nail holes with Durham's Rock Hard Wood Putty, then sanded those areas smooth.

Lastly all I had to do was paint. I opted to paint the trim to match the wall as I didn't want it to pull focus, just create a cool subtle pattern on the wall and make neat shadows.

And voila!

It came out super cool, better than I imagined!

Be sure to click the blog link below to read more details about this project and discover lots of other neat ones while you're there!

Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Daniela Voltaggio

I love that headboard where did you get it... and the trim looks great and original

• Joanne

What a great idea! Relatively simple and has a lot of impact. This would look great behind my bed. I'm going to try it.

• Sandy Lindquist

This is beautiful and I am going to do this behind my bed as well! I am just interested why you did not put additional trim up to make the triangles all the same size? Must be a reason I'm sure and this DOES look interesting and different. I'm not finding fault at all but it caught my eye that two were larger

• Honestly, I was going where the trim led me as I wasn't measuring and I didn't pre-plan the diamond pattern. One can certainly measure and be more mathematically correct. I know myself and math though, how we don't get along. Thanks so much! I hope you do try the project!