Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Michelle James
Michelle James
  • Emmetsburg, IA

DIY Halloween Mason Jars

$10

I love to decorate for Halloween and I have been liking the more creepy and dark decor. These jars were perfect for my current Halloween tastes.

diy halloween mason jars

You will need:

• Mason Jars and the lids
  • Hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • Drawer pulls
  • E6000 adhesive
  • Printer
  • Printable - available on my blog post
  • Scissors
  • Tape
  • Black spray paint
  • Acrylic paint - gray, copper and gold
  • Paint brush
  • Paper towel

Download the printable and print it out. There is a smaller version that works well for the pint size jars and a larger version if you want the larger jars.

Cut around words and tape them inside the jars. This will be a guide for the hot glue.

diy halloween mason jars

Heat the hot glue gun and run a bead of glue over the letters, the eye and the bat. I just used the outline of the bat but you can fill it in if you like.

diy halloween mason jars

Remove the printed guides.

diy halloween mason jars

Next use the E6000 adhesive to glue drawer pulls to the tops of the jar lids. I had these pulls left over from other projects. It's a great way to re-use the old ones.

diy halloween mason jars

Spray everything, including the lids with the black spray paint. I added 2 coats of paint.

When the black paint is dry start the dry brushing with the three colors of acrylic paint.

Add some of gray paint to the paint brush then brush most of the paint off onto a paper towel. I like to start on the bottom or the back of the jar just in case I am too heavy handed. Start brushing on the paint very lightly just to add some highlights.

I wanted the raised designs to stand out.

diy halloween mason jars

Then I did the same thing with the copper paint and the gold paint to make these jars look old. I did the lids at the same time.

diy halloween mason jars
diy halloween mason jars

Put lids on the jars when everything is dry and add to your decor!

diy halloween mason jars
diy halloween mason jars

Enjoy and thanks for reading!

If you like this project you will probably love my blog! Please sign up for me so you can see my projects each week.

Michelle

Michelle James

• Heidi

Can this be done and be used for beverages? Or will the glue and paint wash off?

• 1PastaLady

is there different paints to change colors on the jars? There's so much you can do with this. I have MS and can't do a lot of my painting like I use to, so I saw this and thought what could I do with this?

• Saul Gutierrez

What is the cost indothis

• Michelle James

Hi. I had all of the supplies already but if you had to purchase jars, paint, drawer pulls and a hot glue gun and glue sticks I would guess about $25 - $30. I hope this helps.

• Nomsa Dube from S.A

Oh yes I am going to try this project thank you.

• NancyMaria

Those are really cool! You could also recycle pickle jars or just about any used glass jar for this project. I am picky and leave my canning jars for canning, haha.

• Michelle James

Hi NancyMaria. Yes. Any jar with a lid will work. I don't can and usually pick my mason jars up at garage sales or thrift stores.