Farmhouse Kitchen Awning

$10

I made these farmhouse style awnings for my kitchen windows, but really they would be great anywhere - playroom, bedroom, etc.
Visit me at www.perfectlydestressed.com - to see more of my DIY ideas!
I started with 2 of these crazy inexpensive shelving support brackets. I found mine at the ReStore, but you can get a pack of 2 for under $6 at Home Depot. You will need 2 for each awning.
The bent end piece (the left end of the bracket in this picture) is what I used to attach the awning to the wall. It lets the awning hang at the perfect angle!
We had some extra pieces of white vinyl soffit left over from our front porch project, but it's inexpensive to buy new as well. I chose to use these because I really wanted the awnings to be lightweight and they were already the perfect width. I cut them lengthwise easily with a sharp utility knife.
Because I was going for a Rustic/Farmhouse feel, I used some old screws and a few pieces of old fence post wood roughly painted white (just make sure you are using lightweight wood, as well) and cut to size for the top and bottom of the awning.
This is the underside of the awning (the picture was taken underneath). I screwed straight through the bracket and into the soffit as well as through the old wood pieces and the bracket.
In an attempt to save money, I used screws I already had so they were a bit too long for my project. But, you can't even tell that they stick out once the awning was hung as they stick out on the underside.
The old fence pieces help cover up the bracket piece attached to the wall as well as the bracket portion left in front of the soffit piece that was still visible.
Here is what the awning would look like without the scrap fence wood covering the exposed bracket ends.
I love the awnings and the marketplace-look they bring to my kitchen! They were simple enough to make, very easy to hang and bring such a unique feature to my space - I hope you love them too!

Perfectly DeStressed

• Bil28814018

I love the wall with the pegboard! It looks like a stamped embroidery pattern. Can you give us any info on that?

• Rose Borrero

The pegboard with the stamped cross stitch rose is absolutely PERFECT!!!

• Shuganne

I love your combination of current soffit scraps with time-worn fence boards! My first question is just concern of how inaccessible the exposed nails are. My worrywort brain is muttering about tetanus the next time you climb up to wash the windows.

My real question is what are the round white balls at the bottom of the sink and cabinet? They can't surely be the original feet of the cabinet??

• Jennifer Morgan

It makes the cabinets look as of they are separate and have legs to them. I love it! Great idea Perfectly distressed

• Cathy Hays

I am definitely doing this awning! but you have got to point me towards how you did the front of your dishwasher! I am obsessed with it!

• Cathy Hays

Thank you ! I did scout all over your page and have seen a few other things I’m going to do. I’m officially a fan! Have a great day 😊

• Lisa

I LOVE this!!!

• Anita

Love this look. The only thing I would do different is stain the bottom board to match the brown stain in the lower cabinets. I think it would tie it all together and make it stand out from the rest of the cabinetry. But honestly, great job! Terrific project!