Farmhouse Kitchen Awning

$10

I made these farmhouse style awnings for my kitchen windows, but really they would be great anywhere - playroom, bedroom, etc.
farmhouse kitchen awning
Visit me at www.perfectlydestressed.com - to see more of my DIY ideas!
farmhouse kitchen awning
I started with 2 of these crazy inexpensive shelving support brackets. I found mine at the ReStore, but you can get a pack of 2 for under $6 at Home Depot. You will need 2 for each awning.
farmhouse kitchen awning
The bent end piece (the left end of the bracket in this picture) is what I used to attach the awning to the wall. It lets the awning hang at the perfect angle!
farmhouse kitchen awning
We had some extra pieces of white vinyl soffit left over from our front porch project, but it's inexpensive to buy new as well. I chose to use these because I really wanted the awnings to be lightweight and they were already the perfect width. I cut them lengthwise easily with a sharp utility knife.
farmhouse kitchen awning
Because I was going for a Rustic/Farmhouse feel, I used some old screws and a few pieces of old fence post wood roughly painted white (just make sure you are using lightweight wood, as well) and cut to size for the top and bottom of the awning.
farmhouse kitchen awning
This is the underside of the awning (the picture was taken underneath). I screwed straight through the bracket and into the soffit as well as through the old wood pieces and the bracket.
In an attempt to save money, I used screws I already had so they were a bit too long for my project. But, you can't even tell that they stick out once the awning was hung as they stick out on the underside.
farmhouse kitchen awning
The old fence pieces help cover up the bracket piece attached to the wall as well as the bracket portion left in front of the soffit piece that was still visible.
farmhouse kitchen awning
Here is what the awning would look like without the scrap fence wood covering the exposed bracket ends.
farmhouse kitchen awning
I love the awnings and the marketplace-look they bring to my kitchen! They were simple enough to make, very easy to hang and bring such a unique feature to my space - I hope you love them too!
farmhouse kitchen awning
Perfectly DeStressed

• Bil28814018

I love the wall with the pegboard! It looks like a stamped embroidery pattern. Can you give us any info on that?

• Perfectly DeStressed

Hi ladies! it is actually a large piece of wood pegboard. I painted it white, and then added the oversized cross stitch flower (I found a free flower pattern online and just x'd the pattern lightly with pencil before starting the yarn). If you look to the left, there are visible screws. I designed it so the pegboard could be easily removed if I wanted to change out the cross stitch pattern. Possibly a poinsettia for Christmas?!?

I talked about it a bit more on my blog and on my Instagram page. It was a fun project, and super inexpensive considering I used yarn I already had to make the flower and pegboard is so darn cheap!!! The wall behind was poorly drywalled so this was my "fix" 😉

@ perfectlydestressed

• Shuganne

I love your combination of current soffit scraps with time-worn fence boards! My first question is just concern of how inaccessible the exposed nails are. My worrywort brain is muttering about tetanus the next time you climb up to wash the windows.

My real question is what are the round white balls at the bottom of the sink and cabinet? They can't surely be the original feet of the cabinet??

• Perfectly DeStressed

The screws are actually tucked up in there pretty well. I have washed my windows often with no issues :)

And the "feet" were made from fence post finials! I found them at Home Depot, painted them and turned them upside down (and shoved them under the cabinets!) I love the custom look they give my kitchen (and were inexpensive too!!!)

@perfectlydestressed

• Cathy Hays
    Yesterday

I am definitely doing this awning! but you have got to point me towards how you did the front of your dishwasher! I am obsessed with it!

• Cathy Hays
      8 hours ago

Thank you ! I did scout all over your page and have seen a few other things I’m going to do. I’m officially a fan! Have a great day 😊

• Barb

no

• Lisa

I really love how you think outside the box! You give good instructions and have good photos to show how things fit together. I've got to figure out how to do something like this over our double windows over the sink, because we removed the cabinet on the right side when we installed a taller refrigerator. Definitely need to think about this - it would be the perfect block for the late afternoon sun!