Mother of Pearl Ceiling Light Cover

$40

An Eye-catching ceiling fixture for under $40
I painted a bedroom a wedgewood blue and needed an eye-catching light fixture without being an expensive acquisition. I started online shopping and found a mother of pearl light fixture that had a not quite $300 price tag and appeared to be something I could replicate.
Round and round we go..
Place the tiles around the light cover. Don't worry about being messy because the glue becomes clear. Also you will have small spaces separating tiles. The spaces do not detract from the finished appearance. But if you decide to fill in gaps, that is easily done with stained glass window paint.
Row by row I continued placing the mosaic tile on the cover. I wanted the darker tiles nearer to the center. But since I had purchased only one box of tiles( since I had purchased the last box at the time), and there were mostly lighter tiles in the assortment,I made do with what I had.
This is the finished project after drying during the day...
This is the light cover with the ceiling light on....
I even used some extra tiles for the light switch cover since I was in a gluing mood.
In ambient light... Provided by the mother of pearl lamp I bought in Walmart( for under $30.. Of which I found similar on a designer sight for approximately $250. The tiles matched perfectly.
In the near future, I will fill in those gaps with white opaque stain glass window paint found and purchased in Michael's.. Otherwise my work is done! Have fun!

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home

• Joanie
    Joanie

Back in the day.....the 60's.....these ceiling lights were trendy. Yep!! But NONE as pretty as you made this one.  Ours were a plain white ceiling light with NO pizazzz at all. I guess cheap.?

• Kathy
      Kathy

Love this. Thanks for the inspiratonder. I wonder if you could use glass tiles too. I have many

• Barbara Okae
    Barbara Okae

Anything I can do to 'up-date' ugly, out-dated, fluorescent kitchen ceiling light encased in same fake wood (I think maybe formica?)

Thank you,

• Lori
      Lori

I have the same thing,out-date for sure! I got tired of looking at it,I had painted my kitchen walls a deep blue, scraped the popcorn ceiling, used joint compound to make "swirls" in it before drying, just random. Then back to the horrid light...I sanded it cleaned and n painted it the same color as my wall, better, but yet I wanted to be different still, so this is the kitchen right, the "hub" of the home. I printed out in the size I wanted some of the words from the Hank Williams song, "sey hey goodlooking what ya got cookin etc..." cut them out and decoupaged them to the long side , half of the words on one side ...

• Tobi Wyszomirski
    Tobi Wyszomirski

What was the Mod-Podge used for? Did you hold the tiles on with the Mod-Podge? I've never used it so don't know what it can be used for.

• A.J.
      A.J.

Hi Toby,

When you go to Michael's or Wal-Mart or even Google, you will see a variety of Mod Podge which is in my opinion different types and strengths of glue or adhesive.

• Barbara Okae
    Barbara Okae

Thank you! You're ideas are beautiful but I'm afraid I won't be able to use them. The ugly fixture I'm dealing with is encased with Formica with long fluorescent and a cheap plastic cover.

• Suellen Hintz
    Suellen Hintz

Loved your project, as well as the smaller dude, your light switch cover. However, the switch needs to be cleaned or replaced. Either would be an easy job and would make a tremendous difference in appearance. Keep on crafting!

• A.J.
      A.J.

Thankyou Suellen Hintz for your kind and observant comment.