How to brighten up dark kitchen and dinning room cabinets?

+5

My kitchen/dinning room has dark cabinets and the rest is almost entirely pale yellow.Wanting to do something to break it up. I like headboard but theres a picture window in the dining room and don't think the headboard would look right as the window is down to about 18 inches from the floor.I don't want to change the cupboards.What would you suggest??

• Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Sep 29, 2018

paint the cupboards .... don't understand 'headboard' --- those are usually a bedroom piece ...

• Nan W. Nan W. on Sep 29, 2018

Blue cabinets would look wonderful with buttery yellow (they are complementary colors on the color wheel.)

https://www.anniesloan.com/techniques/how-to-paint-your-kitchen-cabinets-with-chalk-paint

• William William on Sep 29, 2018

Even with dark wood cabinets there is some yellow in it. The pale yellow makes the dark wood stand out. A cooler color on the walls will make the cabinets fade somewhat into the background. An olive green, medium blue may work. Get some paint swatches and tape them to the wall a few inches for a few days. look at then at different times of the day. Color changes. Bead board is a good idea but paint it a contrasting color from the walls. It can be installed around the winbdow and still look good. Remove the window trim, install the bead board, and reinstall the trim.

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Sep 29, 2018

I think beadboard would look nice with a chair rail on top of it. This kitchen has tile, but you can see how it would look, the window is low like yours.