Make Easy DIY Display Shelves (Out of Scraps)

$0

I inherited a few keepsakes from my grandmother, and I wanted a way to display them. I considered making small shelves out of wood for my display cabinet. I was trying to figure out what materials and tools I would need, and how to cut and fit everything together. The plan was getting overly complicated and holding me back.

Here's what I did instead...
make an easy diy display stand out of scraps
In an inspired moment, I realized that I could make display shelves out of styrofoam.  I had a few blocks laying around from an appliance purchase.
Start by cutting the styrofoam blocks into pieces. I used a small hack saw for this. (Warning: It makes a mess, because little bits of styrofoam get everywhere!)

Be sure to cut the bottom block wider than the top block, so you can stack them.
Spread white glue on the underside of the top piece, and then press it onto the bottom shelf. (Don't use hot glue, because it will melt your styrofoam.)
Secure the two shelves together. You may want to stack books on top while the glue cures, to help keep it in place.
When the glue has completely dried, wrap fabric around the shelves. You can secure it in place with straight pins, pushed completely into the styrofoam.

I used black fabric, because it makes a nice background for items on display.
And, shazaam! You just made lightweight, portable, and versatile display shelves for $0!

Show off your mementoes, trophies, knick-knacks and more.
I think the finished result looks great, and I didn’t have to spend a single cent.  That’s my favorite kind of DIY!

For more DIY inspiration like this, be sure to follow me over at Single Girl's DIY. I'll even give you my free DIY Guide!

• Styrofoam  (Old packing material)
  • Fabric
  • Hack saw  (https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=as_li_qf_sp_sr_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=homedec01-20&keywords=mini hack saw&index=aps&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=xm2&linkId=dc06ef9a357d4b75cc4789eeb4954b70)
Single Girl's DIY

Very nice and very creative. Perfect for a kids room. Can even be used in the kitchen.

• Single Girl's DIY

What a great idea, William! I hadn't thought of using these in the kitchen, but you certainly could.