DIY Acrylic Paint Pour Wall Art

$20

Wanted to create a large piece of wall art using existing 4 foot square frame from art gallery. Have seen many acrylic paint pour videos online and wanted to try it.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
Chose to use panel board that was laying around in garage for pour. I cut the board to fit the frame and allowed 1/2 inch on each side for adding trim later.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
Decided to use a can strainer for the pour, place in the center and worked from there.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
mixed paint according to directions.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
Poured paint, then tiled from side to side to help paint reach all edges. Used sawhorses covered with tarp to protect floor underneath.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
Let dry and following day this is what it looked like.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
Then I decided to try and touch up some spots and was left with a splatter that didn’t blend, so decided to do a second pour.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
I used metallic acrylic paint and mixed second batch a little thicker. The key is getting the paint to the right consistency that it flows well but not so thin that it all runs off.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
This time I placed strainer in several areas of board before lifting board on each side to create flow toward the edges. I also taped edges to try and control dripping of paint from the board.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
let dry overnight then placed inside frame to see what it looked like.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
Now I cut Trim boards to trim out painting. Used miter saw to cut to fit using 45 degree angles on the corners.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
Nailed each corner from outside for support, then filled any cracks or holes with caulk.
diy acrylic paint pour wall art
Now I have a rather large piece of Original wall art. Plan to hang using standard picture hanging hardware.

• 4 foot art gallery frame  (Garage)
  • 4x4 1/4 inch smooth panel board  (Garage)
  • Acrylic paint various metallic colors  (Walmart)

• Denise Hardy

I've been wanting to try this for months, but not had time on my hands yet - hopefully, in the next few months. I think the key here is to just enjoy doing it and you never know what may happen. Take yours for instance - I think it's great, but I also liked your first pour too :)

• Michael Scott

I did too, then I tried to perfect and messed up. I know better now, good luck to you hope it turns out great.