Is this matchbox old and is it worth the time to fix it up??

+10

This little item was in a box of junk I got at an auction. I wondered if it is worth the time to fix it up? If so, I need some ideas?

q is this matchbox old and is it worth the time to fix it up
  • Mona Blake Mona Blake on Sep 30, 2018

This used to hang on the wall to light the stove. The matches were strike anywhere. I would fix it up and fill it in case of a power outage.

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Sep 30, 2018

An antique dealer would be able to tell you if it's worth anything. But if you can find a use for it, then fix it up the way you want it.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 01, 2018

Hi there, In my opinion, this is a mass produced , very simply put together item and would only be worth doing up if you could use it. Any form of restoration will improve the look!

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Oct 01, 2018

I like it the way it is! Sometimes little gems like this need to be left alone and admired for their beauty and age!

• Megan Dolbow Manogue Megan Dolbow Manogue on Oct 01, 2018

Is it old? Probably 1st half of 20th century. Probably not worth anything, except to you. If you like it, restore it as you see fit and enjoy it! It's cute!

• Liz Maresh Pudas Liz Maresh Pudas on Oct 01, 2018

My grandma's was out of tin. If you google wooden match holder, they seem to run $10-$20 in value.

• Nancy Nancy on Oct 01, 2018

I can see why you like it...has a certain charm. For me, I would clean it up, but keep the original look, put a small candle stick on it and keep some matches in the box...for emergencies!

• Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Oct 01, 2018

I love it! If it could talk I'm sure there is a story. I would use it..maybe repaint and stencil new letters or leave just as is!

• Elizabeth Elizabeth on Oct 01, 2018

there is only one answer. this adorable matchbox deserves a face lift. then I would save it forever....on my wall.

• Kelly-n-Tony Kelly-n-Tony on Oct 03, 2018

These olds wood ones aren't worth much. The metal ones go for more.

• Peter Carter Peter Carter on Oct 03, 2018

Don't refinish it

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Mar 09, 2021

hI THERE,

mIGHT BE 1950-60'S? iF YOU USE MATCHES IT COULD BE WORTH DOING.

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Mar 31, 2021

it is beautiful !! Of course it is .. with beautiful napkins decoupaged on it