DIY natural mouse repellent?

+10

I was sitting outside last night in my screened in porch and saw a small mouse run under the door and along the wall. Now I know definitively that it was mouse poop just inside my garage door. I have two small dogs and need to figure out how to get rid of the mice but not harm my dogs. Please help!

• Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Oct 01, 2018

A cat.

• Linda Sanders Linda Sanders on Oct 01, 2018

Peppermint oil

• Queenme62 Queenme62 on Oct 01, 2018

can try peppermint oil. and i have also read they don't like the smell of rosemary.

• 2dogal 2dogal on Oct 01, 2018

d-Con sells a mouse trap that the mouse has to go inside of to get the poisoned food. It is dog proof. Put it along a wall preferably in a dark area as mice travel along walls and like the dark.

• Tonya Tonya on Oct 01, 2018

There are three basic things to cover before using a repellent of whatever type you choose. The first is exclusion. Figure out how and where they are getting in and remedy that situation. Remember they can get through holes the size of a dime. You can patch these areas with steel wool. The second and third items are making sure you remove all sources of food and water.

It is true they do not like peppermint oil, also you can clean the areas with ammonia and not rinse. They also found that smell offensive. You can also place bowls of ammonia around where they are entering.

Mothballs are extremely toxic to almost all animals, so I would avoid those.

After all of that, if you still have problems, I would recommend using an instant kill electronically trap. It uses batteries and the mouse is instantly shot and killed. It’s clean and you never even have to look at the mouse when you dispose of it.

• Vat29510899 Vat29510899 on Oct 07, 2018

Hi Tonya, these are great ideas, especially the exclusion portion! If I may, a good alternative to the steel wool, because it rusts would be copper Chore Boys!

• Maura White Maura White on Oct 07, 2018

A cat??!! LOL!! But really, you could try peppermint essential oil in cotton balls and see if that helps.

• L. Creative L. Creative on Oct 07, 2018

You cab borrow a cat. I liked the large round traps that you put peanut butter in. I think I would lay them out overnight in the garage when the dogs are in the house to be safe.

• Sharon Sharon on Oct 07, 2018

Fill any holes that they can get their head in, if the head fits they can wriggle through. If nothing else use steel wool stuffed in the holes. Foundations use Quikcrete caulk. Wood use expanding foam.

• Pamk Pamk on Oct 10, 2018

Thanks for the tips! I found out also that they were coming in to get out of the hurricane. I live where hurricane Florence barreled through. I have the sticky traps and some mouse bait traps where they can get in to eat the bait but my dogs can’t get into. It just doesn’t look like they have eaten any. I can see daylight hours Nader my garage door off the patio as well as along the side of the bottom of the door. I bought a commercial grade door stop that came in yesterday so will be installing that today since another hurricane is heading out way. I also bysome copper mesh stuff to plug up the sides of the patio door but haven’t figured out a door threshold solution yet. It’s just a flimsy screen door. Isn’t peppermint oil harmful to dogs? And sorry but no cats coming here

• Peppermint, they hate it. Buy the pure peppermint oil and spray all over area inside house or room. The house also takes on a nice smell too. I have used this at our summer place and it really works.

• KATIE KATIE on Oct 10, 2018

put a Bug Bomb in your house and leave for several hours. They hate the smell. Bonus, it kills all the bugs too.