Simple Easy Custom DIY Deck Railings

$340

I remember when I called my dad and said I wanted to change my deck railings. They were old and needed to be taken down. He said, ok what were you thinking? I replied. Well, I was thinking about chicken wire. Then there was silence on the other end of the phone. In this tutorial, I am going to show how to build custom railings using unconventional materials.
Simple Easy Custom Deck Railings
For those who would rather watch the tutorial on how to build and install these custom deck railings here's a quick easy to follow video for you.
My deck was horrid, to say the least. I'd tried giving it a makeover a few years ago. I had used a deck restoration paint that actually caused more damage than it restored. So I decided to remove the old railings altogether.  There wasn't anything special about the old deck railings.
But I had a vision of hog wire panel deck railings. I just didn't have a budget for it. Hahaha My version of Champagne taste v. beer budget. But like hog wire taste on chicken budget. I sketched out what I wanted and set out to achieve the look within my means.
I constructed the deck railings in stages setting it up in panels.
Using the poultry wire saved me a ton! Hog wire panels can cost $40-80 a panel. With this, the entire roll of fencing was under $50.
I made the individual wire mesh panels and drilled it all in place.
The complete step by step tutorial can be found at ToolBoxDivas.com
I'm happy to report my dad is no longer silent about this anymore. He now wants to do this for his back porch.   
Till Next Time, Y'all! Remember the complete tutorial with measurements and complete materials list can be found at ToolBoxDivas.com

• 4×4 Posts  (Home Depot)
  • 2×4x10 Pressure treated lumber  (Home Depot)
  • 2x2x8 Pressure treated lumber  (Home Depot)

Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
ToolBox Divas

• Denise Griffin

Do you travel !!!??? Love it !!!

• Freie

Excellent restoration and great idea with chicken wire, probably one of the best I have seen.

• Lori , Wisconsin

Does this wire meet code? Hog wire panels are much more rigid, providing more stucture. It looks like your deck is fairly low to the ground, so the chicken wire is probably strong enough. Thanks for the instructions. We want to do this on our deck. Love the look!

• Debby

My daughters deck is with hog wire and it looks amazing! We don’t need to meet a code because we live on our ranch in the mountains. Lots of snow! Needed it to be very strong.

• Mary Hopper

I love Dads, mine would look at me like I lost my mind with some of my ideas, but then later on would say," I thought that would have never worked" He's been gone 10 years now so treasure every crazy moment with yours. :-) p.s. doing this idea, thank you

• Debby

I might. My daughter has this on her new deck, but she had to have much stronger wire. We live in the mountains in Wyoming. Lots of snow!