How I Added a Country Fresh Produce Stencil to My Old Bench

$30

Just a couple of weeks ago I fixed this old bench using wood putty and Dark Walnut stain. Of the three benches my grandparents made that I have this one had taken the biggest beating. But, with just a little elbow grease I had her looking almost like new again. After that I made a no-sew cushion for it complete with tufting and buttons! Check out the post all about it here.
Stencil Revolution makes really
how i added a country fresh produce stencil to my old bench
At first I was going to make a sign but after refinishing this bench last month I thought this would be a great opportunity to dress it up even more.
I’ve used regular brushes and paint for stencils in the past but dangit I was never very good at it lol. I went looking online and found the perfect solution on Amazon:
A Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Marker!

I had NO IDEA how this was going to work out but first I laid my bench down and cleaned the front of it really well.
I taped the stencil to the front, allowing it to be a little further down than near the top, so it would be for sure easy to see and read.
The pen requires a bunch of depresses on its point and lots of shaking but I ended up absolutely LOVING IT.
If I ever do another stencil I am definitely going to be using one of these markers instead of regular paint and a brush.
You can see in the photos it did not cover totally on first coat and that was cool with me. I loved how it ended up looking like it had been on the bench for a long time!
You can also see how I ended up moving the corners of the stencil to the corners of the bench. The paint marker dried so fast that I only had to wait a few minutes for the main stencil to dry before being able to do the corners.
Love how this only took me about 30 minutes! I topped it with a coat of poly acrylic for safe keeping and called my cute bench complete!
GrandmasHouseDIY

• Kimmi

I loved this idea... I think because of my decor I would like to tone down the paint on the bench first to make it look a bit more vintage and then do the stenciling!!! But this is a brilliant idea!

• Debra Meade

Love it, looks wonderful!