Heather Cammack
Heather Cammack
  • Colfax, WA

DIY Chalk Painted Piano

$30

Have you been wanting to update your piano and turn it into a statement piece in your home? It turns out, that using chalk paint, makes painting your piano an easy and inexpensive DIY project that anyone can do.

The piano I painted was a free hand-me-down from someone who knows my father-in-law. I know of many people who have found free pianos via Craigslist if you are in the market.

diy chalk painted piano
To begin, I gave my piano a good cleaning. Then lightly sanded the surface with 120 grit sandpaper. I just wanted to knock down the shine a bit since most pianos have that super glossy finish.
diy chalk painted piano
Next I gave my whole piano two coats of chalk paint. Make sure to tape off the keys and skip painting the sound board so you don't change the sound quality.
diy chalk painted piano
I let my paint dry overnight, and then applied my dark wax. The wax needs to go through the famous wax one/wax off process. Use a clean rag to smear the wax on in a thick coat. Circular motions will help to get the wax into all the cracks and crevices.

Let the thick coat of wax dry for about five minutes. Then go in with another clean rag an buff the wax out. I just smoothed the wax out moving with the direction of the wood grain. The buffing process doesn't take much elbow grease to get that smooth finish.

The more you buff, the shinier your finish.

diy chalk painted piano

I also chose to add some gold leaf to the legs and book stand as a fun added detail.
diy chalk painted piano
diy chalk painted piano
The finished product has held up well under stress (I have four small children), and was very easy and inexpensive to complete.

Visit My Happy Simple Living for the full tutorial and more product details.

Heather Cammack