What can I use to coat over stone rustolum counter top?

+4

My bathroom counter is gone with stone rust oleum. It’s bumpy and gross!! Was like that when I moved in.

Short of taking it all off what can I coat it with to make is smooth? I cant even imaging the nastiness that gets trapped in it.

Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

q what can i use to coat over stone rustolum counter top
  • Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Oct 02, 2018

You could try covering it with contact paper!

• TaKenya Hampton TaKenya Hampton on Oct 02, 2018

personally i would sand it off or use a stripper to remove it and go from there. Additionally you may be able to do what I did here with my bathroom countertops.

• Shore grandmom Shore grandmom on Oct 02, 2018

You could use an epoxy on it, but I'm sure there will be some prep needed. This company has great videos to show you how.

https://leggari.com/custom-counter-kits/

• Sherri Sherri on Oct 02, 2018

The best answer is to completely remove the paint. But, if you sand it down enough where you can't feel the texture you could go ahead and repaint it. Use a good spray poly over it. (A number of coats, and Marine poly would stand up well.) If you wanted to keep the textured surface but make it smooth, resin or epoxy would do it, but it would take more work and the results wouldn't be all that hot. Rustoleum also has kits for granite finishes on a counter top. You may want to ask someone at the paint store if you could use it over the original texture. Good luck.

• Heje Heje on Oct 02, 2018

I would try the sanding option first and then poly. If it doesn't work paint it over, as it seems strange that a textured surface was applied in the first place. Good luck on finding a solution.