Wood floor?

Chris GignacLandsharkinncDuz17397445
+6

I have a 100year old farmhouse that has maple floors. The owner before tried to redo them and left spaces between the wood. I am not sure if I could resand and polyurethane with the gaps or is the floor to bad.

• If the floors are original, I'm not surprised that there are gaps. I would check with a floor-refinishing company to be sure, but I think you can refinish them.

• Get a professional floor refinisher out for an estimate. 100 year old floors are a gem to behold. Hopefully the prior owner didn't chew them up beyond repair. Is there any way you can post a photo?

• Sally Alter
    Sally Alter

That is a real shame because the flooring could be so nice in an old farmhouse. I would really need to see the size of the gaps before coming to any conclusion. Perhaps you could post a picture?

• Rose Broadway
    Rose Broadway

Since these guys are experts at this I usually pass along their video. I hope this helps, if not, come back and we'll give it another try!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7focJeab0pM

• Oliva
    Oliva

Keep in mind that you don't want tight fitting floors because expansion of the wood could cause cupping. Check out www.thisoldhouse.com, where Tom Silva deals with your situation. He makes some pieces to fit wide expanses between boards.

• Shore grandmom
    Shore grandmom

I would have a professional check them out. 100 year old floors just can't be replace with that old charm. Hopefully they're repairable.

• Duz17397445
    Duz17397445

This is what they look like

• Landsharkinnc
    Landsharkinnc

that's odd; I'd contact have a professional -- and preferable someone who specializes in 'Vintage/Aged/Antique' floors ... LOWE'S isn't what I'm talking about!!! take a look ... seems these may be GLUED??? down -- certainly not tongue/groove or dowelled into a sub-floor ...

• Chris Gignac
    Chris Gignac

I think I can safely say that if the floor is 100 years old. The previous owner didn’t cause the gaps between the boards bike trying to refinish. It could be that is just part of the charm of having 100-year-old floor.