Haunted Mirror

$15

This weeks Hometalk Helper Challenge is to create a Halloween project. A few months ago, I picked up an ornate gold-painted framed mirror. I had no idea until today what I was going to do with it. I decided this challenge was the perfect opportunity to use the mirror frame and try a few new techniques.
This is the mirror. The glass part is 16x20.
The mirror itself needed to be removed. I put it away for a future project. It was difficult getting the staples out, but very important that they were completely removed in order to get the mirror out.
I sanded the edges of the frame opening, where the staples were. Next, I brushed on Verathane wood stain over the gold paint.
Using a lint free cloth, I wiped the stain away. This is a before and after.
My goal was to create a ghostly, creepy finish, but I wanted to keep it realistic. I thought the dark gray stain over the gold worked out nicely. I left this to dry overnight.
Moving on to the real magic...
I found a 16x20 piece of glass from an old frame in my basement, cleaned it, and laid it flat to work on. To create the mercury glass effect, I sprayed it generously with a 50/50 vinegar/water mixture. I then sprayed a layer of Mirror Effect spray paint over the entire pane. With a clean paper towel, I dabbed the surface to sop up the water and vinegar.
I chose an image of the Mona Lisa, sized it to fit my frame, adjusted the color to a faded grayscale, and had 2 copies made at our local print shop. I also had 1 reverse print made.
Keeping the painted side of the glass facing up, I put the reversed print under the glass.
Using the print as a guide, I sprayed the Mirror Effect paint over the glass. I avoided the areas of the print that I wanted to show through. I sprayed several layers for opacity and let dry completely. The reverse print can now be discarded.
The pane was set in the frame, painted side up. The print was trimmed to size and placed face side down. I printed two in case of mistakes, but only one is needed. I then added layers of cardboard on top and neatly taped everything in place.
The finished mirror. The image becomes more or less visible depending on the angle. This was difficult to photograph due to the reflective nature of the glass. Happy Haunting!

• Andrew Smart

Really cool, my question does anyone know of a way of having one image show at an angle and another show straight on?

• Donna Treadgold

I’m sure you have to fold the picture like you would if your making a fan and cut two images up to the size of the depth of each strip of the fan and then

on every other put alternate picture on those strips

if that makes sense

Im sure I did it that way at school

but you would need to make the frame a small box on the back to fit it in

• Susan

I love this!

• Imogene

Love it!! I have just the mirror to use for this!! Thanks for sharing!!