Emily
Emily
  • Tutorial Team
  • South Milwaukee, WI

Worn & Torn to Fresh & Cozy Chairs

$30

I found a set of old Duncan Phyfe style chairs at a thrift shop. They were scratched, stained, flat, and musty. They must've been stored in a basement for quite a long time because the smell was potent. After some TLC, I was able to give these chairs a new life!
worn torn to fresh cozy chairs
I spotted four very worn chairs in a sea of thrifted furniture.
worn torn to fresh cozy chairs
I brought them home and placed the seats in position to see what I had to work with. The seat cushions were flat, the material was faded and stained.
worn torn to fresh cozy chairs
I tackled the seat cushions first. They were put together with upholstery tacks and a lot of staples, so it took a lot of time and patience to remove everything.
worn torn to fresh cozy chairs
There were a lot of scratches and gouges on all of the chairs so they needed a really good sanding.
worn torn to fresh cozy chairs
After the sanding, each chair got a fresh coat of paint with leftover Behr paint we had at our house. After the paint dried, I wanted to do something to emphasize the floral designs. I took a craft paint brush and added a touch of dark brown to the grooves. This really helped the design of the chairs stand out.
worn torn to fresh cozy chairs
With new cushions, batting, and material, the chairs are super comfy.
worn torn to fresh cozy chairs
And here are all fours chairs after a complete makeover.
worn torn to fresh cozy chairs
Before/After

• I think these chairs look great, can you tell me what colour you used please.

Thanks Marilyn

• Sandra Ross Warren

Nice makeover! Just a suggestion for next time or anyone doing this for the first time, to add the dark in the grooves much quicker and easier use a large brush and stipple the dark into all the groves and then wipe away any excess, this will leave the dark in all the grooves and give an antiqued look very quickly.

• Jea32515271

I'd like to work over my dining room chairs...mahogony wood. After sanding, what do I use to finish the wood to its original ?

• Lynn

Minwax Red Mahogany is what I use. But on the top of it, when it dries, you HAVE to use oil based polyurethane to set it, NOT water based polycrylic. The water based one will make your mahogany color turn brown, not the deep red it should be. (This tip is on the label of the stain, on the Minwax website and the Customer Care person told me this).

• Joy

why didn't you do the bottom of the chair?

• Wen

Hi, your redo looks wonderful. I also have the same chairs, so it has inspired me.

• Linda Gibson

Don't you need a coat of wax or polyurethime