How long can paint be held before it is too old to use??

FranWilliamKathy Gunter Law
+7

• Tinyshoes
    Tinyshoes

Marilyn.....I have used some paint that was several years old but it was still pretty full. I stirred really well and used a piece of wood to see how it looked and was fine and continued to use on item I wished to paint. I also have opened cans that it was obvious that it was quite dry but most of those didn't have much paint left in them. Hope this helps!

• Open the can... if it's not dried out, not moldy/musty smelling, and it hasn't been frozen and thawed, should be good to go! I've used paint that was several years old and it was great.

• Paint doesn't really have an expiration date unless it's dried out in the can or has mold on it, and has been stored indoors.

• Marilyn Dobbin
    Marilyn Dobbin

Thanks so much!!

• Zest it Up
    Zest it Up

Paints that are latex based and never opened can be stored for up to 10 years. Cans of paint that have been opened should be used within 2 years.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Before you use it, take it to a paint store/department and have it re-shook in a machine. I had some Behr a while back that was older. Home Depot shook and tested it for me and it was fine.

William

As long as it doesn't dry out, skin over, or have mold it's good.

• Fran
    Fran

Two years