Julie
Julie
  • Lodi, CA

How do you remove stubborn mold from cedar fencing?

Pat34182271HelenBaz9782607
+4

• Kelli L. Milligan

Spray with mold killer and try to bristle brush it off with vinegar, soap and water. If already soaked in and damaged the wood, may have to sand it down and stain

• Debker

To spot clean mold, mildew or moss from a cedar fence, use the following technique:

1. Wear protective eyewear and gloves.
    2. Protect nearby plants by wetting them with plain water.
    3. In a bucket, combine ½ cup oxygen bleach and 1 gallon hot water.
    4. Scrub the affected areas with a stiff brush dipped in the solution.

• Et432206119

Bleach will lighten the mold’s color but does not kill it, and the scrubbing might remove some, but “stubborn “ mold means you need a good product that specifically kills mold. I would use it after the bleach scrub and let it penetrate well. And then stain or paint the wood to protect from moisture to limit regrowth.

• Fiddledd224

A power washer with the right liquid cleaner should work.

• Baz9782607

If you are a patient person, you could spray with Wet n Forget. It works slowly, but lasts a long time. You are going to need to look at the cause of the mold too, such as dense vegetation preventing ventilation.

• Helen

My usuall "go to" for removing mold is bleach. in water. diluted so that I don't bleach out color. However, mold is killed with chlorine bleach like clorox.

• Pat34182271

I tried bleach. Mold comes back. Vinegar full strength kills it: two years and counting.