Fall Tile Planter

$5

What do you do when you have a stash of plain ceramic tiles?

You look for some creative ways to use them, of course!

Here's one of my latest:

fall tile planter
I decided to decorate four tiles with fall-themed stencils. glue them together, and create a planter "sleeve" for a 4" potted plant.

It's a clever way to cover those plain plastic pots, and is the perfect size for the center of a small table.
fall tile planter
I started by dressing up the plain white tiles with paint and scrapbook paper. They coordinate, but have a little variety.

I decoupaged pattered paper to two of them, and painted the other two.
fall tile planter
Next, I played with the arrangement until I decided which stencil I wanted to add to which tile.

I made these stencils, and designed them to fit the tiles - that makes it so much easier to stencil without having extra hanging over the edges of the tile.
fall tile planter
I think the pumpkin is my favorite! I started with a basic rich orange, then added some light tan highlights after the orange coat was dry.

Tip: Use painter's tape to mask off portions of a stencil you want to paint a different color when the stencil areas are really close.
fall tile planter
I used a similar technique with the pear leaf too, adding pounces of yellow, red, brown, and even some green, to create a softer, more realistic look.
fall tile planter
I decided to go ombre on the Fall stencil.
fall tile planter
All that's left is to attach them together. I like construction adhesive with tiles because it's heavier-duty that hot glue. As much as I love hot glue, I'm not sure it would hold these together.
fall tile planter
After gluing them together, they're ready for a 4" potted plant.

The planter is just a sleeve and doesn't have a bottom, so you'll need to provide for drainage. I cut the bottom from a plastic stadium cup and slid the pot into it.
fall tile planter
4 more tiles down - and still a stack to go!

It's time for another project!
fall tile planter
If you'd like to make your own and use these custom stencils, they're available in our Etsy shop.

Now through October 31, use coupon code HAPPYFALL to save 20% on any of the stencils used in this project. 

Happy crafting!
To Work With My Hands

• Pam Finch Jacobs

Where did you use the "Mod Podge"?

• To Work With My Hands

Yes, Trudy is right. And I also spread a layer over each tile after the paint dried, just for a protective coating.

• Tinamomoftwins

Could you use the stone type drink coasters instead of tiles?

• To Work With My Hands

Well, those are not as smooth, so painting and stenciling would be more challenging. But as far as putting it together...sure. Even though it wouldn’t be as easy, it might be a cool look! 😊

• Swe17566412

You dont have a bottom tile? And could I make them with 12x12 tiles? And can I use E6000 glue?

• To Work With My Hands

No, there is no bottom. You can add one if you want, but it won't fit perfectly. It will line up on two sides, but you'll have a slight gap on the other two sides (about 1/4"). I hope that makes sense. If you like this idea - by all means, go for it! Just be prepared for drainage and you'll be good to go.

I don't see why you couldn't use larger tiles. The stencils were designed for the 4 x 4 tiles, but any other size should work fine and you can use different stencils - or none at all, according to your preference.

I've only used E6000 a few times. I can't guarantee your results since I've not tried it on this project myself, but I know a lot of people really love it and use it for all kinds of projects.