Rita C. - Panoply
Rita C. - Panoply
  • Charleston, WV

Succulent Orb Experiment

Ever tried replicating one of many inspiring photos, either here on Hometalk or Pinterest, only to have it NOT turn out as planned? You know, that "nailed it!" moment, right? Well, I pinned a photo of a succulent orb a year ago and finally got around to trying it. Come see how, when inspiration strikes, it turns out to be a slightly different version, but still works out anyway. Step-by-step process for how I tried my hand at a succulent orb with blog link below....
photo credit:  Debra Lee Baldwin
photo credit: Debra Lee Baldwin
With a little digging on the originally pinned site's content, which reviews the book from which this idea comes, "Succulent Container Gardens", by Debra Lee Baldwin, I found comments giving how-to instruction ideas (not necessarily the author's prescription).
succulent orb experiment, container gardening, flowers, gardening, succulents
I found the 10" hanging baskets at the Dollar Tree (without the liners), so then planned a trip to Lowe's to scout other supplies.
Succulents are expensive, at $3.98 for a 3" container at Lowe's. I checked the orphan rack - none there. I found two succulent containers, without prices. They each had 7-9 of the 3" succulents arranged inside (which would've been $28-$36 for each, or $56-$72 total). The manager got on the computer and made two tags for me - $9.98 each - BOOM - $19.96 total!
Supplies for succulent orb experiment
Supplies for succulent orb experiment
I gathered some cactus soil and a 14" basket liner that I decided to cut to 10" (none of those were to be found, either, but I still had the one from last year's purchase). Total money investment, with tax: $30 (including baskets from Dollar Tree).
Basket halves, prepared with soil, watered
I cut my liner, and filled each of the hanging baskets with the soil. I used the entire bag, packed it down, then soaked it, as the reader comment on the original pin site suggested.
Prepared basket halves, aligned
Prepared basket halves, aligned
After aligning the baskets into an orb, I slid the bag out from between the two, and connect the baskets. I used twist ties (didn't have those plastic, self-adjusting ties).
Succulent Orb Hanging Basket
Succulent Orb Hanging Basket
The directions said to then cut X's into the liner, and place the succulents into the orb / ball. Easier said than done. It was more like cutting and stuffing, trying not to sever the succulents into the orb. I used one entire container's worth of plants, and still had space on my upper half of the orb. Not to be discouraged, I spaced what I had of the one container on the upper half.
Lol, my 'orb' looks nothing much like the Pinterest inspiration! For now, I've decided to leave the basket orb as it is, and come back to it once the succulents have a chance to take better root. Then, maybe I can flip the ball and hang it upside down and work right side up with the side now untouched. I like the hanging basket, and I still have an untouched container that I can leave as is, or use to fill the other side of the orb later on.
Rita C. - Panoply

• Katherine

May not look like the Pinterest orb but it's beautiful and the best thing is you made it

• Drl weber

I would buy a tile of mixed sedums @ 12.99 to fill in around the other succulents.