How can I reverse the effect cleaning solution had on vinyl handles?

Selena WilsonBethFiddledd224
+9

My old but good refrigerator has either rubber or vinyl textured door handles that had become grimy, so Ii cleaned them with a spray all-purpose cleaner, and now they are so sticky and gummy no one wants to touch them. Anyone have any ideas on how to reverse what I have done? Thank you!

-Beth

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi, I am thinking you can use Mr Clean magic eraser, or rubbing alcohol on these to remove the buildup

• Gk
    Gk

The rubber/vinyl may be breaking down with age. You could be creative and wrap the handles with twine attaching with hot glue on the ends. You would be able to get the twine off to replace if it got too dirty by cutting it where it's not glued with a scissor or sewing seam ripper.

• Chris
    Chris

You can try wiping them off with alcohol then use a soapy magic eraser over them. The alcohol removes the sticky gunk the eraser cleans the dirt off.

• Anne
    Anne

I had patio chairs that had final strapping that, no matter what I used, could not get the greasy, sticky dirt off them....until I used Awesome. It's usually sold in Dollar Stores and is a yellow cleaning liquid that works magic. I always keep a bottle on hand as I have found so many cleaning uses for it. Hope this helps.

• Beth
      Beth

Thank you. I have never heard of Awesome, but I will look for it.

• Gail
    Gail

Mine started to peel outer smooth layer off so I wrapped them with decorative duck tape. Can change color any time I wish. With this sticky would be gone. My suggestion to deal with this as rubber is likely beginning to bring. Best of luck to you.

• Beth
      Beth

Now that's an idea! Thank you so much for this clever, out-of-the-box solution!

William

Use either Goo Gone or Nail polish remover. Wipe off residue with Dawn dish liquid and water.

• Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser followed by Windex. One removes the sticky and the other removes the residue.

• Beth
    Beth

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I will try them all. I have tried the magic eraser, to no avail.

• Selena Wilson
    Selena Wilson

Have you tried soaking them in distilled white vinegar overnight? You would need a trough like container to hold enough vinegar. Maybe a joint compound trough??

Also, rubbing alcohol is good for removing the sticky stuff.