AvantiMorocha
AvantiMorocha
  • San Antonio, TX

DIY Window Bench With Storage

$200

Today I’m going to show you how my husband built a window bench with storage for our master bedroom.

I’ve had this project burning in the back of my mind for a long time. Initially, I really wanted a window bench with drawers, but we had an incident, you can read more about it on my blog (https://avantimorocha.com) so I decided to ditch the drawers and simply make a bench with a trunk instead.

diy window bench

WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO to learn how my husband an I built our window bench with storage. You could always just follow this step-by-step guide too.

diy window bench

This is the space where we're building the window bench. It may be a little hard to tell however the window bay is large, it's roughly 100" wide, and 19" deep.

diy window bench

Once we had a rough idea of what we were building, and where, we pulled back the carpet.

diy window bench

With the carpet pulled back we began framing. Start with the base, then the back, add the supports, and finally finish the face of the frame.

diy window bench

This is a diagram of the frame we built for our bench. You'll notice the frame is a little overkill. My husband over engineers just about everything however the I can't fault him on the structural integrity or the build quality.

diy window bench

Once the framing is complete, cut the top. For us, the top was made from 3/4" Birch plywood, however, any smooth surface plywood would work just fine. At 100" log the top consisted of two pieces.

diy window bench

The two-piece top was carved up giving us separate pieces for the sides, back, front, and the doors. This gave us the freedom to situate the pieces as we needed. Most of the cuts for the top were made using a table saw however a steady hand and a circular saw would work just fine too. To nail everything down we used a brad nailer (finishing nailer) and 1,1/4" brads. After the pieces were set, we caulked everything using white Dap Alex flex.

diy window bench

We then set the trim pieces. Most of the trim pieces were nailed in using brads however a couple of them needed to be .

diy window bench

The bench was primed with Zinsser® B-I-N® Shellac-Base (White) then painted with two coats of semigloss white paint.

diy window bench

Next, we attached the baseboard and quarter round to the face of the bench. The baseboard and quarter round give the bench a finished look while also covering the cut carpet.

diy window bench

At this point the bench construction was almost complete. To set the doors we used a piano hinge.

diy window bench

Next, we installed recessed handles (Flush Pull handles) into the doors.

diy window bench

Finally we installed safety hinges on the trunk doors. This is a great feature which ensures the doors do not slam shut. This is especially ideal if you have little ones in the house.

diy window bench

Don't forget to visit my blog https://avantimorocha.com/ and follow me on my social media.

To see more: https://avantimorocha.com/diy-window-bench/

• Shirley Messerschmidt

How much did the bench cost

• Kerry Casey

I have the same set up window, but with a heating vent under the center window. How would you approach this situation?

• Lisa West

As long as you have air flow around the heater you will be fine. We had those old water steam heater radiators in a house I rented years ago. I wanted a table shelf in that particular spot. So we did some research. And found it was possible. Also my daughter was very clumsy at the time. She kept running into it lol. So we built it. I wish I had a picture to show you but I dont. We used a metal grate for the opening for air flow as well as hinges to open it if I needed to turn down the heat on it. It was beautiful. We even added a small bench seat on it. My living room was small. I lives it though and it had many windows and a pocket door to close off the hall way.

• Therese

How did you get the angle for the end pieces?

• Christine Evans

I absolutely love this! I think I’m going to have to try it! Thanks for sharing.

• Lisa West

Isnt lovely when you can make a space nice or more functional. Any update in a home is great. Even something as mundane as picture. Lools like a great place to read, soak up the sun when sick, or just staring out the window. I'm jealous. Lol it's beautiful. I also feel that your are so excited over this update. Great job to. Lots of comfy pillows too.