How to care for aloe plant?

+10

I have a Aloe plant and it’s spread out and the stem is falling off. How do I care for a Aloe plant? Also I have a thyme plant and it’s spreading all over the place, how do I take care of it?

• DesertRose DesertRose on Oct 07, 2018

We have 6 aloe plants and several of them have a stem falling off frequently at one time. I just remove it or clip it off. As long as the heart looks healthy and is standing up, it should be fine. Do not over water, they like arid weather with plenty of sun and a good rain once or twice a month. Hope this helps. You can cut back the thyme as needed. They are pretty hardy

• Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Oct 07, 2018

As far as the aloe, it’s usually a sign of overwatering. The thyme, you should be able to just trim to keep it in line. You can dry or freeze what you cut off.

• First, what Zone are you in?

Here are some basic care instructions.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/aloe-vera/aloe-vera-plant-care.htm

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-grow-thyme-1402630

I am in Zone 9 and my aloe lives in pots outside year round. So does my thyme.

For the spreading thyme, use it in cooking and baking! You can trim it and dry it and keep in jars or tins and use over the winter. Even for me, thyme will die back in the cooler months and will pop right back out in spring.

Thyme is great in soups, stews, and I like with lemon and lavender in cakes and cookies. I bake all the time in the cooler months for work or church, so I can go through a lot of it in a short period of time. I grow french and lemon thyme. Or at least that is what I have right now.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Oct 07, 2018

Some herbs spread like weeds, that is why I went to using pots for mine. They started taking over my vegetable garden. I freeze my extra herbs in the fall before they die from the cold. Just take the air out of the freezer bag so that they don't get freezer burn.

• Ana is right, aloe is a type of succulent and they don't need much water and the soil should be well draining

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Oct 08, 2018

Alo doesn’t like that much water only water once every 3 weeks

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jul 18, 2020

Hi Patrica, lots of sun and only a little water. Aloes also don't generally need any fertilizer, but if you your plant is struggling, only apply the fertilizer once a year. Look for something that is phosphorus-heavy or use banana peels as an organic option. We stay in South Africa and the Aloes grow wild on the side of the road and we just dump our banana skins around the plants in the garden . You can also make a banana peel tea fertilizer by filling a mason jar with water, and adding the banana peel. Close the lid and let it sit for about 2 days and then water your aloe plant.