Using Engineering Prints as Beautiful Wall Decor

$15

Hey everyone! Today I'm sharing a project I did a while ago, but one that remains one of my favorite budget wall art ideas! Printing some of our wedding photos as engineering prints :)

(If you aren't familiar with engineering prints, they are black and white, printed on regular paper, and are designed to showcase your line drawings and graphics. These over-sized prints promote high-quality black and white line drawings in a variety of sizes. Engineering prints are ideal for architects and builders.)

The first thing I did was to print some of my favorite wedding photos using the engineering print method. I had mine printed at a local staples.
using engineering prints as beautiful wall decor
Next I got some insulation foam as the piece I'd mount the print to. I decided on this because it was really lightweight and could be hung easily in our rental apartment. I cut this down to size based on the size of the photo (keep in mind that you'll need to wrap the edges around like a canvas).
Then I laid the engineering print face down, spray the piece of foam with adhesive, and laid it carefully down on the print, making sure there were no ripples or wrinkles.
I folded the edges over like a present and then hung them on my wall using double-stick adhesive mounting tape.

Here's one of the final prints...
And the three prints in place!
What do you think? I shared a few additional lessons learned and tips in the original post linked below.

If you like large affordable DIY art, definitely check out my massive faux canvas DIY art (a peacock on a bike!) that fills a big empty wall in our living room. You can also follow me on Pinterest for loads of affordable DIY ideas!

Engineering print
Brittany @by Brittany Goldwyn

• Em

I worked in Engineering for 43 years and made 1000's of drawings and 1000's of prints have never heard of an "engineering print". Please explain what you mean. I am sure I am not the only one confused.

• Robyn Garner

My ex is a Registered Architect and although I hadn't heard the term before, it's not wrong!

"Their appearance is akin to a large photocopy. Engineering prints are also known as: engineer prints, blueprints, oversize prints, and architectural prints."

• Emmybel

You mentioned they are on regular paper, like no gloss? Do you think you could mod podge over them without destroying the ink?

• Emmybel

Thanks so much! I can’t wait to do this in my home!

• Dxfrye

Also, does the $15 cost for this project involve only 1 photo?

• There are a number of pieces of insulation foam and one can of adhesive, so I am sure that this covers the cost of three pics. and probably a few more.

• Nancy Ludwig

Beautiful!

• Elena S.

I am a alternative photographer who has used a company named Big Blue to print my artwork (they mainly print for architectural firms.) They have printed many of my pieces of art both in color & B&W. They used a high quality printer & pigmented long lasting inks by Epson. The work we saw re: the beginning of this post is beautiful!!! Congratulations & Best Wishes to the Bride & Groom.