How to fix rotting floor boards?

EstelleJoy30150932Nancy Turner
+8

Having issue in my trailer house floor board's are rotting out how can i fix ?

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Emily, If it Is rented - call the Landlord! If you own it, call in a builder of trailer homes to come and inspect it and offer a solution that is affordable for you.

• Happy Days Hometalker
    Happy Days Hometalker

i would have them removed. If you have to use scatter rugs until you can replace the flooring.

William

Remove and replace with 3/4" plywood.

• Dee
    Dee

You need to find out why they are rotting and replace the underboard before putting in new flooring.

• JOHN
      JOHN

correct. it could be a "pinhole" leak.... that older plumbing in mobile homes, Poly b, is prone to burst, leak, sep, etc.... I replaced my mother's entire system with pex.... WAY better

• Cheryl Anderson
    Cheryl Anderson

You need to get air moving around under the trailer. Moisture is rotting your floors.

• Dee
    Dee

I replaced my pipes with pex too. Love it. No worries about freezing.

Once pipes are fixed, you will need to rip out the rotted wood and put down new plywood, and then new flooring.

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

It may be more expensive, but using marine plywood that is made for damp and wet conditions would last longer if there are no leaks found.

• Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

You will need to pull the boards up and replace with new ones. Use a pry bar a the job will be easier.

• Estelle
    Estelle

Had this issue all through out our three bed/two bath manufactured home. In days past they used pressed wood, when exposed to water swelled and fell apart. Also, just heavy foot traffic will make them sag. We pulled out all the flooring in bathroom, big mess!! Finally layed 3/4 in plywood through out house, in stages, right over old flooring. No water leaks involved. Easiest solution and has lasted for years.