Fall Front Porch Makeover- Part 1

$20

I seem to be making decorations and wreaths for everyone else so I figured it was time for me to make something for myself! I decorate for Christmas every year, but the other seasons are pretty much ignored other than the occasional touch of decor. This fall I’m doing it right! This project is part 1...
fall front porch makeover part 1, Pardon my messy carport
Pardon my messy carport😊
Of course the first thing you need to do is gather supplies. I have been thinking about what I could do with those foam pumpkins I was seeing in all the dollar stores. I was also seeing these gorgeous fall topiaries everyone was making here on Hometalk. I like to be different, but everyone needs inspiration!

I started with those pumpkins and 2 planters then gathered fall leaf decor and some raffia. I always have spray paint and other fun craft supplies so I shopped my items and got everything fall color together.
fall front porch makeover part 1
In order to make my pumpkins more fall than fake, I glued them to dowels so I could spin and paint as well as set up to dry.
fall front porch makeover part 1, Makes it so much easier to hold the pumpkin
Makes it so much easier to hold the pumpkin
This to me as the funnest step! Now I take my orange paint and brown paint and alternate between the two of them to get affect I want from the colors, especially hitting the low spots for dimension. I also hold the spray can away to hit it with “freckles”.
fall front porch makeover part 1
While my pumpkins dry I get my planter set up and ready. I start by putting some rocks in the bottom so they don’t blow over, then I put dirt in just like I’m going to put in a plant. This project would also work to use the items to decorate an existing plant. However, I can’t keep plants alive so I have to make an entire arrangement!
fall front porch makeover part 1, After fall you can use for actual plants
After fall you can use for actual plants
There are so many ideas to put in the top of the soil before you begin your arrangement… Spanish moss, straw or hay, decorative rocks, or as I chose raffia. Then more fun! Once you place your choice of soil cover, you start putting in your pumpkins (leave them on the skewer) then add stems of fall leaves and any other items you have chosen.
fall front porch makeover part 1, Have fun playing with the deco pieces
Have fun playing with the deco pieces
I call it fill and fidget... keep arranging and moving, tugging and pulling, until you stand back and smile! I make sure I fluff out the raffia to seem more like a natural growth.
fall front porch makeover part 1
I had some solar lights I got on clearance so I used them as filler As well as give them a home.
fall front porch makeover part 1
I placed one on each side of my front steps. They would be perfect on a small porch (like an apartment) on either side of the door.
fall front porch makeover part 1
Now that I have them set up I need to move onto my next step which is a simple wreath. Then the rest which will be my fall front porch part 2 coming soon!
fall front porch makeover part 1

• Foam pumpkins  (Dollar tree)
  • Raffia  (Dollar tree)
  • Planters  (Family dollar)