Shelly L Nemeth
Shelly L Nemeth
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Gilbert, AZ

Welcome to the NORTH POLE!

$40

I wanted to do something different for the holidays. So, I put my thinking cap on and came up with this beauty. I think everyone can enjoy this fun Christmas project a North Pole sign. I'm not sure if I'll us this outside for my porch or inside.. most likely outside. I also thought this would be great for hanging our stockings since we don't have a fireplace. I hope you're as excited as me to make this!

welcome to the north pole

What you'll need:

North pole stencil

Bulb

Garden Hanger

Christmas Pick

Some piece of tree greens

Wood

3x3 post

16x16 square wood

9x9 square

Painters tape 48mm

Mod podge

White and red paint

Stain

Two round Hook and eye (screw eyes)

welcome to the north pole

This is my base platform for the bottom I cut one board at 16"x16" and another one at 9"x9". These will be stacked on top of one another like the picture

welcome to the north pole

Next my post this is a 3"x3" board that is a special order. I didn't like the 4x4 I think it is to big, but you could use that if that's all you have or can find. Well will use 3.5" screws to attach the pole and base together. Once that is secure paint it all white.

welcome to the north pole

Now that the post is dried with the white we will begin my using painters tape 48 mm to wrap around the pole. Make sure it really bonds good,

then spray that red in my case, but you could do any color.

welcome to the north pole

After you spray the post red and let it dry, remove the tape.

welcome to the north pole

You should have a north pole at this point!

welcome to the north pole

Next, I will begin making the sign to attach to the pole. Find a font you like and make a vinyl stencil to fit in a 17"x6" frame. The frame will be made from 1x1". Take the stencil and apply it to a thin piece of wood that is 18"x7" and painted white. Make sure before you apply the stencil that the paint is dry. I then centered and taped off the stencil. Then I applied a thin coat of pod podge over the letter so when I paint it, it will not bleed. When that is dry take it outside and paint red.

welcome to the north pole

Cut out 1x1" wood and build a simple box that we will use for our sign frame. You will want 2- 17" sides and for the bottom/top 2- 6" pieces. Then stain your desired color. From here take the stenciled North pole piece of wood that we just finished and nail to the frame. Next, you'll need to attach the bracket to the pole with the 2 screws which are generally provided with the brackets.

welcome to the north pole

Here is how the sign should look done and put together. We will add two screw eyes to the top to hang it.

welcome to the north pole

This is the bracket that I used to attach to the pole to hang the sign from.

welcome to the north pole

This is your pole and it should be looking good, you'll top it off with the bulb being glued on with some liquid nail and staple on the embellishments. Here you have it the North Pole!

welcome to the north pole

You can add hooks to use as a stocking holder or use it just like this for the porch! Happy Holidays to everyone near and far! Please check out my page Gilbert Marketplace for more details on this project and other DIY projects.

• Ljb33387067

Stencil were to buy? Brand name?

• Shelly L Nemeth

I don't have a Cricut but that is what she used. You can purchase from The Chic Magnet shop

• Debbie Nottingham

Ive got to try this. It's so sweet. Only one question (I did try looking it up first). What are elites???🙄

• Jo

Amazing! When you used the Mod Podge, did you paint just the stencil itself or painted the letter (inside the stencil) and overlapped onto the stencil? Just a little confused but very curious as I am starting to make signs using stencils and looking for any tips I can get. Thank you!!

• Teresa

Can I just add something, speaking from experience. I found that instead of using Mod Podge, I seal the inside edges of the stencil with the same paint as the base coat (in this case, the white paint)...I get nice crisp lines every time. When I used the Mod Podge and then painted on top of it, when I would remove the stencil the lettering was wanting to peel off too.

BTW, Shelly, I absolutely adore your North Pole project...and, I can't wait to make one for this season!

• Sofia lombardo

Hi, I loved this project so much I tried it myself, and other than having hubby cut all the bits of wood for me, I actually managed to do the rest of it myself! It's not finshed yet, I still have my sign to do which I'm still working on.

But I love it! And being a barber I am contemplating if I could use this during the rest of year, if I make a barber sign aswell! Lol.

• Shelly L Nemeth

That’s awesome! Love the picture to!!