How to downsize island lights?

+4

I currently have three small lights over my kitchen island but want to go to two large lights. How do I do this?

• Depending on how far apart they are, you could perhaps get a fixture like THIS ONE that would cover all 3 holes with the backsplate against the ceiling. Then it's only wired to one of the light sources, the other 2 boxes where the old lights were would be capped off with wire nuts on the the wires.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 09, 2018

Can you add a picture of what you currently have? That would help with specifics. You may have to repair the ceiling but the points above are great advice.

• Heather Cammack Heather Cammack on Oct 09, 2018

You can always put a cover like this over an unused box.

• I would go to the hardware store and select 2 new lights and then you'll need to move the electric and patch the old holes (and paint over).

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Oct 11, 2018

We need to see what they look like to see what to remove

• Flipturn Flipturn on Oct 12, 2018

Are the lights hanging pendant style, or are they recessed into the ceiling? Are they controlled by a separate on/off switch or are they on the same line as any other ligts in the kitchen?

• Marsha LaFollette Marsha LaFollette on Oct 12, 2018

This is what it looks like now.