How do you clean a showerhead so the spray is even?

+7

My showerhead has several spray holes but the water shoots hard out of a few and normal out of the others. Do I need to just replace it or is there a way to clean it without removing the showerhead? I thought I read somewhere that you could soak the showerhead in vinegar?? Thank you.

• Rymea Rymea on Oct 16, 2018

CLR is supposed to work.

• Susan Susan on Oct 16, 2018

Fill a plastic baggie with vinegar and place it over the shower head, tying up with string or some sort of twisty tie. Let is sit for several hours, then remove and rinse the shower head.

• Karen Lorbecki Karen Lorbecki on Oct 16, 2018

Yes, soak it in a vinegar and water solution. You can do this while still attached. Depending on the shape of the head, you can fill a freezer gallon sized zip lock bag with a 50/50 mixture and submerge the head, using rubber bands to “tie” the bag onto the head. Another option is to soak a rag in the solution, then wrap it around the shower head and wrap that in plastic wrap so it stays really wet.

Let the shower head soak for a few hours or overnight. Then remove your vinegar solution. Run hot water through the head. If it doesn’t immediately clear the holes then you can use a toothpick or something similar to scrape out each plugged hole in the shower head.

Hope that works!

• Elizabeth Swanson Elizabeth Swanson on Oct 16, 2018

That's correct. Fill a plastic bag with white vinegar insert the shower head until covered and firmly tie or tape the bag closed. An hour to overnight will do the trick.

• Linda Linda on Oct 16, 2018

Fill up a ziplock bag with Lime Away and then put the showerhead into the bag and tie a rubberband around the shower head. Leave it for about 10 minutes and then it should be cleared up. If it is real bad do it again and again until it clears up. https://amzn.to/2J30u4C