How to keep my pink Cast Iron Tub Wintertime plant pretty?

MizGGSylviaLinda D Brewster
+8

I want to plant something in my PINK Cast Iron "Garden TUB" that will be pretty in winter in Memphis,TN...HELP!!!!...g

I Have MUMS in my "TUB GARDEN" now .

• Diane Coverdale
    Diane Coverdale

Will you be taking out your plants? You could add pots of dried arrangements in a Christmas theme and large plastic ornaments!

• Diane Coverdale
      Diane Coverdale

Mizzie, you live in Texas! You could look for Christmas cactuses, amaryllis or poinsettias - the real McCoys!! (No plastics there.) It should be warm enough. The plastic maybe just the ornaments: Great big plastic glitter balls and garland, or nutcrackers! Go crazy!

• 2dogal
    2dogal

I'd raise the soil in your tub. Plant some vining plants in it that drape over the sides. Plant taller plants in the middle. The way you have things planted, you can't see much unless you look into the tub.

Visit your local plant nursery for plants that do well in the winter in your local area.

• MizGG
      MizGG

Oh..Thank you..I will do just that...I love it...I'm so NEW to planting.. G

• Debbie
    Debbie

Ornamental cabbages should do well in the winter in Memphis, and add some color and texture. Pansies will do well until the coldest weather.

• Robin Gray
    Robin Gray

My dream has always been to create a topiary with a tub. Make a shape of a woman sitting in the tub and cover and plant her with moss that will live all year. Plant trailing plants for hair (yellow flowers in warm weather), and top the surface of the tub with a white flowering plant that will trail out onto the ground like spilled bubbles.

• MizGG
      MizGG

Yoooohooooo, You Smart Robin Gray..THAT is sooo wonderful and soooo me. Thank YOU ...Oh, how I wish I could win the lottery and FLY you to "My PRETTY PINK CAST IRON TUB" to put your suggestion to work...Sounds sooo ME!...I'll try to do it and send you a post...gg

• Linda D Brewster
    Linda D Brewster

Memphis - you are probably in zone 6 or 7 (I'm in 7). We plant pansies and decorative cabbages. Check out your local nursery for ideas in your area. I had an antique tub like that once, but we buried it. I was way north then, so only planted in the summer.

• Sylvia
    Sylvia

Multi-color pansies would be beautiful in your pink tub! Do raise the soil level since they are shorter. They are also expensive, so if you can't fill you tub this year, buy seeds next spring (Feb-March) and plant them. They are annuals, so you will have to do this every year, but unless you have harsh winters they should last during the winter until you throw in more seeds!

• MizGG
    MizGG

Thank you sooo much..mgg

..