Woodsy Scented Campfire Candles

$25

My husband and I used to go camping all the time. But nowadays it just seems like way too much work. But I really do miss the smell of the forest and watching the campfire burn low as the sky gets dark. So, instead of spending too much time in longing, I’ve decided to pay homage to the campfire with these Woodsy Scented Campfire Candles, with real wood wicks.
Read the full article and why soy wax and wood
woodsy scented campfire candles
Why Chose Enamel Mugs for DIY Candle Making?

We all remember enamel camping mugs right? They're classic! The vintage look, they are the perfect size for a big cup of percolated campfire coffee and they keep your hands warm while you sip your morning joe. Plus, they are heat resistant, which makes them a perfect candidate to become a candle holder.

So let's jump straight into this DIY!
woodsy scented campfire candles
What You'll Need

• 2 Enamel Caping Mugs (enamel mugs are metal and thus heatproof)
  • 2 lbs of Natural Soy Wax flakes
  • 2 natural wood wicks with steel bases (they are usually sold together as a set)
  • 20+ drops each Cedar Essential Oil and Eucalyptus Essential Oil
  • TOOLS FOR DOUBLE BOILER: stove top, deep pan, water
woodsy scented campfire candles
Step 1:

Add the soy wax flakes to the enamel mug and place them in a pan with water, warm slowly on a medium low heat. You will need to top up the wax as it melts down.
woodsy scented campfire candles
Step 2:

Once the wax is melted, stir in 10 drops each of Cedar and Eucalyptus essential oils.
woodsy scented campfire candles
Step 3:

Place your wood wick in it's steel base and place it in the candle. Do your best to centre the wick. Set it aside to cool and solidify for 2-4 hrs.
woodsy scented campfire candles
That's it!
Enjoy the scent and crackle of a campfire in your own home. :)
For more natural crafts and garden DIY's visit The Hip Homestead.
Jana The Hip Homestead

• Alison Crosby

do you use the entire 2 lbs of wax for the 2 candles?

• Jana The Hip Homestead

Hi Alison,

I had made 1 other mason jar candle before to test the recipe, but basically it took the whole 2 lbs. I wasn't more specific because I figured everyone's mugs would be a bit different :)

Thanks

Jana

• Janis K Harrison

You say to use 10 drops each of the cedar and eucalyptus oils. Is that for each candle, or total?

• Jes27385151

what size were the mugs you used - 12oz or 16oz or?

• Jana The Hip Homestead

Hi Jes,

Good question, I didn't measure them before hand but I just measured it compared to my regular coffee cup, and I'd say they are 12oz.

Hope that helps :)

Jana

• Linda R

Yes, yes! I think this is the perfect solution needed for homemade Christmas gifts.

• Jes27385151

Confused on mug size saw links for 12oz and 16oz and could not find where you listed what size you were using for your 10 drops each of essential oil 30% more or 25% less volume would make a noticeable difference

• Jana The Hip Homestead

Hi Jes,

I'd say they are 12oz, they are really wide and short.

You have some time to work before they cool, so if the scent isn't strong enough for you feel free to add more. I found that mine are a nice natural mild scent, definatly not as strong as store bought candles, but I'm 'scent sensitive'.

Hope this helps :)

Jana