DesertRose
DesertRose
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Phoenix, AZ

Fall Flare in a Planter

$10

Turn an old ugly brown gourd into a thing of beauty with a fall planter. I purchased an old gourd years ago from a farmer that called it an apple gourd. He told me he grows special gourds and paints them to sell. When I bought it, it was brown and even a little moldy on the outside, but the paint has remained as shiny and beautiful as when it was new. It looks like a giant apple.
fall flare in a planter
I do not have a before photo as I did paint it many years ago, but I wanted to incorporate it in some of our fall decor this year. You can see it is shaped like a large red apple. It is the same size as some of my pumpkins.
fall flare in a planter
I gathered some imitation fall leaves, pine cones, imitation berries and feathers, an old moss hanging planter, and other imitation pumpkins. I added some package stuffing in the bottom of the planter before starting with the decorations. You can see the white packing paper lying in the planter in this photo.
fall flare in a planter
Most of my decorations have been light colored fall including beige and brown. For this decoration I decided to add a little zing with bright fall colors.
fall flare in a planter
The best part of this fall planter idea is I can use it for a table center piece, patio table center piece, hang it outside, or arrange it on my dining room hutch. I had everything here on hand so I do not remember what I spent, but I probably bought it all off season for around $10 to $20 total.
fall flare in a planter
Don't be afraid to step out of the box to use objects for your planters. When fall is past and we decorate for the next holiday, I will remove the leaves and pumpkins and add more pine cones and greenery. I have fresh holly with red berries growing in our front yard and I may add some of it too. This planter decor is so versatile for the entire fall and winter holidays. I love the bright cheery colors and beauty fall brings to our lives.
fall flare in a planter
Such beauty from an old ugly gourd. I love this planter!