DIY Up-Cycled Blue Jay Bird-Feeder or Bird-Bath

3 materials
$12
I found this wonderful platter at the Thrift Store and knew it would work perfectly for some type of bird bath or feeder. The colors are so vibrant and Blue Jays just happen to be my husbands favorite bird and they visit us often at the lake and stay late into the fall. After I brought the platter home, it sat for several months while I contemplated how to best re-purpose it. I finally settled on the idea of making a hanging feeder or bath, so now the question was how to go about that and then it hit me – yes actually hit me.
The solution was an old outdoor candle holder that is surrounded with blue crystals attached to metal chains. I found this at a garage sale a while back and it has been literally hanging around almost unnoticed.  How it came to hit me was the result of construction in our back yard – I ended up bringing in my patio decor and hung this up on a ceiling hook in the basement until  the construction was over and actually forgot it was there. When I went to open a cupboard in the storage room downstairs I bonked my head on it and then realized HOW PERFECT IS THIS!!
All I had to do was slide the platter in-between the chains and it rests securely on top of the metal frame that has the blue crystals attached. Not only did the blue crystals match the Blue Jay on the platter they actually look like a Blue Jay tail!
The platter is about 3.5 inches deep in the middle and it worked out that it can be either a feeder filled with peanuts or a bath. Since I want to hang it up at the lake and we're near water, I've decided to go with peanuts!
The final steps included spraying the under side of the platter and the metal chains with Krylon indoor/outdoor protective spray. This protects the paint on the glass and also protects metal.
There is nothing better than turning something old into something new. These two second-hand pieces were meant to be together!  I  love the whimsy of the crystals and if you know Blue Jays, you know they are attracted to shiny and colorful objects and this is definitely that!

• Platter   (Thrift Store)
  • Hanging Crystal Candle Holder   (Garage Sale)
  • Krylon Spray   (Canadian Tire)
Starr Durrant

Questions on this post

Your question...
  1 question

Comments

2 of 4 comments
Next