Cute DIY Pinecone Christmas Tiles

$5

Every morning I when I walk my dog, Toby, I pass a tree that shreds the cutest littlest pinecones. I can't help but stop and pick a few up and pocket them.

I have used a couple of these pinecones in the past with some cute upcycled Christmas cloches I made (see here). I decided to use these pinecones in a totally different way and make a lovely fall/Christmas decoration for my mantle.
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
I decided that I would make Christmas tree pinecone tiles with them. I used 10 little pinecones for each tile along with the petal of a large pinecone.
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
The first thing I did was arrange my pinecones into a rough Christmas tree shape. One at the top, then a row of 2 followed by a row of 3 finishing off with a row of 4 pinecones. I used the large pinecone petal as a trunk but you could just as easily use a piece of bark.
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
Next, I used Plaster of Paris to make my tiles. For each tile, I used approximately 250g of Plaster of Paris powder with approximately 200 ml of water. Basically, you want a consistency of double/heavy cream.
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
I made a mold out of an old tin and cardboard to the shape I wanted my tile to be. I then poured in the Plaster of Paris mixture.
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
Next, I placed the little pinecones in the plaster mixture one by one recreating my pinecone tree design.
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
I left the pinecones in the plaster until it had set. (For more details and photos about this part don't forget to check the blog post at the end.)
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
Once dried I used a knife to carefully prise the tile out of the tin.
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
You can leave the pinecone trees as they are for a fall decoration. Or paint and decorate them for Christmas.
cute diy pinecone christmas tiles
To decorate the trees I just added some pom pom trim. Also to make one of the tiles that little bit more Christmassy I spray painted the pinecones green before setting in the plaster.
Claire at Pillarboxblue