Cute DIY Pinecone Christmas Tiles

$5

Every morning I when I walk my dog, Toby, I pass a tree that shreds the cutest littlest pinecones. I can't help but stop and pick a few up and pocket them.

I have used a couple of these pinecones in the past with some cute upcycled Christmas cloches I made (see here). I decided to use these pinecones in a totally different way and make a lovely fall/Christmas decoration for my mantle.
I decided that I would make Christmas tree pinecone tiles with them. I used 10 little pinecones for each tile along with the petal of a large pinecone.
The first thing I did was arrange my pinecones into a rough Christmas tree shape. One at the top, then a row of 2 followed by a row of 3 finishing off with a row of 4 pinecones. I used the large pinecone petal as a trunk but you could just as easily use a piece of bark.
Next, I used Plaster of Paris to make my tiles. For each tile, I used approximately 250g of Plaster of Paris powder with approximately 200 ml of water. Basically, you want a consistency of double/heavy cream.
I made a mold out of an old tin and cardboard to the shape I wanted my tile to be. I then poured in the Plaster of Paris mixture.
Next, I placed the little pinecones in the plaster mixture one by one recreating my pinecone tree design.
I left the pinecones in the plaster until it had set. (For more details and photos about this part don't forget to check the blog post at the end.)
Once dried I used a knife to carefully prise the tile out of the tin.
You can leave the pinecone trees as they are for a fall decoration. Or paint and decorate them for Christmas.
To decorate the trees I just added some pom pom trim. Also to make one of the tiles that little bit more Christmassy I spray painted the pinecones green before setting in the plaster.

Claire at Pillarboxblue