Nikki Wills
Nikki Wills
  • Gilbert, AZ

DIY Wool Felt Balls Made Into Felt Acorns

$10

Learn how to turn wool roving into felt balls (an incredibly versatile basic craft element) and turn THOSE into absolutely charming, rustic-chic felt acorns (with real acorn caps!).

Ever made felt balls? For garlands, napkin rings, coasters--whatever? It's incredibly easy, and all you need is felt roving, some water, and your hands.

Simply roll some felt roving into a ball. It doesn't have to be tight, just ball shaped.

Then just dip it in warm, soapy water, and roll between your palms. Just keep rolling, and after a minute or two, it turns into a compact, felted wool ball.

See? felt balls! Ready for all your crafting needs.

Tip: let them dry completely before trying to glue them to things.

To turn them into acorns, you only need to gather some acorn caps, and glue the felted wool balls into the caps. I decided to use spray paint in silver, gold, and copper to give the acorn caps a shimmery, metallic hue. If you don't live in a place where Oak trees grow, and need to purchase acorn caps, see the blog post (link below) for details on just how to do it.

Just look at those lovely felt acorns! Wouldn't they make an absolutely darling garland?

Video showing how to make felted wool balls and turn them into felt acorns.

Nikki Wills

• Karen

Where can you purchase wool roving?

• Nikki Wills

I bought mine from a local yarn and textile arts shop, but you can also get it on amazon and through other online retailers. There's a link in the blog post, in fact.

• Victoria

Those are absolutely adorable. Kudos to your great idea!!!

• Susan Pridgen

Love theses! I live under several live oaks and love acorns. Always looking for ideas and ways to use them. Thank you!!

• Nikki Wills

Jealous! I live in the Arizona desert, but I love gathering acorn caps when I travel to places where they grow! I'll bet you're enjoying some spectacular fall color right now, too.