Wine Serving Tray With Pumpkin Insert-Recycled Project

$3

A Wine Serving Tray with Pumpkin Insert is an easy upcyled project. You can easily give a new look to a thrift store tray with paint, twine, and an upcycled pumpkin insert.

I found this yellow tray at my local Goodwill a few months ago. If you’ve followed the blog for long, you know I love giving makeovers to old trays. I’m working my way through the stash of them that I have and trying not to buy any more

wine serving tray with pumpkin insert recycled project

I used Behr Ultra Pure White Premium Plus for the tray that I had left over from a table makeover. The tray got two coats, allowing it to dry between each coat. I wrapped a piece of twine around the outside of the tray, placing dots of glue along the way to keep it in place. 

Making the pumpkin insert was an easy upcycle project. I used an old sweater for a pumpkin topiary and hoop pumpkins. Since I used only the sleeves of the sweater for that project, I had a lot of the material from the old sweater left, so I started thinking of other ways to use it. That’s when I decided that making a pumpkin insert for the wine tray would be great for fall. 

• Use a circular piece of cardboard – I used the piece of cardboard that comes with a frozen pizza
  • Wrap the fabric around the cardboard
  • Pull the fabric taut around over the back
  • Add a staple to the center top of the circle
  • Hot glue the fabric to the back of the cardboard

To make the circle resemble a pumpkin, I used some leaf stems and a wine cork near the top of the circle.

The stems are hot glued in place and the wine cork is glued on top of them. 

I didn’t want the insert to be permanently attached because I already have plans to make an ornament insert for Christmas. The pumpkin is heavy enough to stay put inside the tray. 

Using thrift store finds and items I had on hand kept the cost of this project very low. For only a few dollars, I have a fall decor piece that has a practical use, too.

• Thrift Store Tray  (Goodwill)
  • White Paint  (Home Depot)
  • Old Sweater
Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd